98 Civic lx, Started and died as soon as I put it in drive and now won't start

monstahtron

I'd like to ask you guys for some input. Earlier today when I went to drive my car it died on me right as I was getting out of the driveway. I started the car and let it warm up for about a minute, I reversed out of the driveway and as soon as I put it in drive the car instantly died. Then after that I couldn't get the car to start back up. A bit of history with this current engine, a while back the car was misfiring in cylinders 1 and 2 I traced it to bad exhaust valve seals and ended up replacing the head with a resurfaced head and with new seals in it already and replaced all the according gaskets as well. I'm now about 7,000 miles since I did all that but about 1,000 miles ago it started to misfire again. At this point I'm just getting frustrated...help please guys. I'll be taking a look under the hood in the AM, since I had to head to work when this happened I wasn't able to look at it right away and I would like to know where to look first.

RonJ

Banned
Why did you ignore the misfires for 1K miles? Sounds like you are not maintaining your car and that it needed an ignition system tune up.

1) Pull the CEL codes and post them. Click the CEL codes link in my signature.

2) Turn the key from OFF to ON(II). Do you hear the fuel pump buzz for 2 seconds?

3) Check for spark at all 4 spark plugs. Click the Spark link in my signature.

monstahtron

Why did you ignore the misfires for 1K miles? Sounds like you are not maintaining your car and that it needed an ignition system tune up.

1) Pull the CEL codes and post them. Click the CEL codes link in my signature.

2) Turn the key from OFF to ON(II). Do you hear the fuel pump buzz for 2 seconds?

3) Check for spark at all 4 spark plugs. Click the Spark link in my signature.
No extra money to order the stuff I needed sadly, but today I replaced my cap, rotor, and ignition coil since it looked kinda messed up but still couldn't get it to start. The rain has picked up for now and its getting dark but I will use your method to check the plugs in the AM and report back.

RonJ

Banned
Also make sure fuse 9 isn't blown.

monstahtron

Ok so the rain let up finally and I went out there checked the fused and it was ok. I decided to try and start it one more time before the day was over and it started! Then died right away...this is gonna sound really stupid but I forgot I had my fuel pump kills-witch still on lol. It had to have been the coil because that thing was really f**ked up, next up is to get this misfire issue worked out. Gonna go pick up a timing gun tomorrow and see if I can set it right because I don't think its right.