98 cx Engine swap

Triston

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have been a proud owner of a 1998 civic cx hatchback, I love driving it but would like to make it a more interesting. I've searched high and low to find a nice performance set up, but end up with more questions. So I'm asking what would be a good start on upgrading and/or swapping my stock engine for a faster and better performing ride?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Buying a performance based car is usually the best start.

Beyond that we don't have enough info to help you. No idea what your goals are, what money you can spend, what you mechanical abilities are.

Triston

Buying a performance based car is usually the best start.

Beyond that we don't have enough info to help you. No idea what your goals are, what money you can spend, what you mechanical abilities are.
My goal is to have more torque, speed, definitely a cleaner sound, and better handling on the car over all. I'm not on a tight budget but would rather not throw 6000 dollars on a 4500 dollar car and I have a mechanic who is more than capable of building the car i just need to invest in parts. I've heard b16b is a quality upgrade from my stock motor but even in that case I don't know where I should start off with getting the feel of adjusting to the new car capabilities (intakes, suspension posture, throttle pull, etc.) I'm very interested in modifying my car to a personal custom feeling as well as look, and it's my first project car so to speak

Triston

My goal is to have more torque, speed, definitely a cleaner sound, and better handling on the car over all. I'm not on a tight budget but would rather not throw 6000 dollars on a 4500 dollar car and I have a mechanic who is more than capable of building the car i just need to invest in parts. I've heard b16b is a quality upgrade from my stock motor but even in that case I don't know where I should start off with getting the feel of adjusting to the new car capabilities (intakes, suspension posture, throttle pull, etc.) I'm very interested in modifying my car to a personal custom feeling as well as look, and it's my first project car so to speak
P.s sorry if I sound oblivious I'm hoping that by joining the forum I can become more indulged in the auto world, so I won't seem so, ignorant later on my buddy told me since its my first build its up to me to search and understand what I'm doing to my car and why it's a good/bad thing so I'm relying on anyone who can help to find some guidelines and boundaries on getting a full experience of a built civic because I honestly love the way the car is designed and how easy they can be to modify( from what I've been told)

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are lots of b series swap diy posts, like your buddy said it's up to you to search. My vote is for turbo d16, make more power and same price as a swap

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As you're beginning to find, there is an immense amount of Honda information available with which to educate yourself.

Now that's a good reply. Details gets you helpful responses, but its still important to do plenty of your own research as virtually any question you can think of with your current knowledge base has been asked numerous times. Unfortunately, there is also plenty of misinformation thanks to the inexperienced who claim otherwise, so I feel its best to not take any one answer as a truth until you've read the same thing more than once elsewhere OR that one reply makes perfect sense.

I'm not knowledgeable in engine swaps, so my only suggestion is to start with quality suspension upgrades while keeping in mind that you may put in a heavier motor. Enjoy the suspension and current engine while you educate yourself further and pinpoint the direction of your engine swap build. Build the sound system while you're at it. Fine tune this engine as selling it pre-engine swap will help the overall cost.

Do you have any current interior or exterior mod plans? Sound system, paint, seat swaps, re-upholstery, lips, spoiler, etc?

Last edited:

Triston

As you're beginning to find, there is an immense amount of Honda information available with which to educate yourself.

Now that's a good reply. Details gets you helpful responses, but its still important to do plenty of your own research as virtually any question you can think of with your current knowledge base has been asked numerous times. Unfortunately, there is also plenty of misinformation thanks to the inexperienced who claim otherwise, so I feel its best to not take any one answer as a truth until you've read the same thing more than once elsewhere OR that one reply makes perfect sense.

I'm now knowledgeable in engine swaps, so my only suggestion is to start with quality suspension upgrades while keeping in mind that you may put in a heavier motor. Enjoy the suspension and current engine while you educate yourself further and pinpoint the direction of your engine swap build. Build the sound system while you're at it. Fine tune this engine as selling it pre-engine swap will help the overall cost.

Do you have any current interior or exterior mod plans? Sound system, paint, seat swaps, re-upholstery, lips, spoiler, etc?
That makes perfect sense, and I have to figure out how rewire the head unit because I had someone steal my system and clip the harness. And I want to wrap my car(It's two toned thanks to a wreck) so I have a lot of different ideas as far as what I want it to look like inside and out its just a matter of time until I find a decision. But I've always been told to work on performance be for cosmetics so I was looking for a starting idea to get me in the loop