98 EX: Sparks under car now cranks but won't start

gotcher17

5+ Year Member
Lastnight when I was on my way home my car broke down, I was only doing 55 in 5th. All I know is it will crank but wont fire, sparks came from under my car that sat and burned on the road, and when I popped the hood there was a burnt smell coming from the driver side. All the belts that I can see (3 of them) are still good. I need help figuring out what could be wrong with my car. Thank you for reading.

RonJ

Banned
When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on or does it turn off after 2 seconds?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does it sound normal when you crank it? What kind of noises did it make when it died, or did it just shut off?

gotcher17

5+ Year Member
Does it sound normal when you crank it? What kind of noises did it make when it died, or did it just shut off?
It cranks just like its going to start but it wont fire... There was a very faint "click" when it happend

RonJ

Banned
1) Turn the key to ON(II). Do you hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming in the gas tank for 2 seconds?

2) Check for spark at the plugs -- click link in my signature.

Post the results of these tests.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you see where the sparks are coming from?

gotcher17

5+ Year Member
1) Turn the key to ON(II). Do you hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming in the gas tank for 2 seconds?

2) Check for spark at the plugs -- click link in my signature.

Post the results of these tests.
yes, I can hear the humming and it is sparking good

RonJ

Banned
Do you have spark at all four plugs? If so, check the mechanical timing to see whether the timing belt skipped a few teeth. The cam and crank should be perfectly synchronized at TDC1 as shown in the diagram below. This is checked by removing the valve cover and upper timing belt cover, turning the crank pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE only until the cam pulley is positioned at TDC1. Then check whether the crank pulley is likewise at TDC1.

If the mechanical timing is fine, then compression test the cylinders.

RonJ

Banned
All in all, the Civic is pretty reliable, but like any car, it must be properly maintained to realize the benefits of its reliable design.