98 Honda Civic HX sputters when accelerating. Feels bogged down and lacking power.

Amilk3

98 Honda Civic HX -

Sputters when accelerating. Feels bogged down and lacking power. Does not do this if I run the RPMs high but if I drive it like most people typically would or try to accelerate up to speed when getting on the highway it will sputter, bog down, and seems like its miss firing or something. Does not back fire or anything like that. Has been going on for a long time. I have changed the fuel filter, distributor cap, and rotor but no luck. I have had Advanced Auto scan it for me and the last time it said something like "EGR - High Voltage" and a long time ago came back with something about the exhaust but I figured that may have been due to a leak in my exhaust but maybe not. It has been a while so that may not be exactly what the scan came up with. I plan to get it checked again tonight and can post the info when I get back.

My next two guess in order would be that EGR valve is dirty or needs replaced but I want to make sure before I spend that much on a new part since they are quite expensive for the manual HX model. My next guess would be the catalytic converter but not sure.

I have some other issues too. I started to drive A LOT a year ago and it has been going through oil big time. I'd say after 10 days and 1000 miles I will be about 2+ quarts low or worse. There is NEVER any on the ground.

Also having a problem with a ratcheting noise coming from the front passenger side ONLY while turning AND while under power. If I coast around a corner it will not happen. It used to happen mostly when I made 90 degree turns(or close to that) but now it has worsened a little bit and will do it making small turns. I replaced the half shaft since it had a large rip in the boot and seemed to be the most likely cause of the noise but did not help at all. 

I do not know exactly what the name of part(s) is called that the half shaft connects into but I think that may be the problem. The wheel side of the shaft is fine, I am referring to the opposite side near the middle of the car. The old shaft appeared to have some wear on the teeth so I'm guessing that part(s) is stripped out and causing the half shaft to slip but I am grasping at straws on this one. 

Any help would be great.

EDIT: I just went and got it scanned. These are the codes and info it gave me.

p1498 - EGR valve lift sensor - high voltage
p1259 - vtec system malfunction 
P0141 - O2 heater circuit- bank sensor

Last edited:

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well you burning oil and the sputtering might just be from driving. I know my car sputters some time but that's just from me letting off the clutch to fast at low RPM'S and the cars kind of jerks a little and will sputter until I get to a higher rpm. Try letting off the clutch a little slower and see if it makes a change.

Amilk3

Well you burning oil and the sputtering might just be from driving. I know my car sputters some time but that's just from me letting off the clutch to fast at low RPM'S and the cars kind of jerks a little and will sputter until I get to a higher rpm. Try letting off the clutch a little slower and see if it makes a change.
Yeah, I know what you mean but it is not that unfortunately. It will sputter and jerk a lot the entire time when getting up to speed on the highway but once I get up to speed it is usually fine but every now and then you will feel a faint hick-up while maintaining my speed.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wonder if a bad injector could cause this to happen. "HELLO" all gear heads please help with the situation. We have a member in need of help, I repeat we have a member in need of help. LOL

Amilk3

I just went and got it scanned. These are the codes and info it gave me.

p1498 - EGR valve lift sensor - high voltage
p1259 - vtec system malfunction
P0141 - O2 heater circuit- bank sensor

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Will someone please help us fix the issue I only know so much

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for the sputtering and bog....have you checked or changed the spark plugs or spark plug wires? checked engine grounds? You could also have a bad or going bad O2 sensor. Any check engine lights?

The burning oil issue, in the high mileage cars, a lot of times with a honda it's the valve seals that need to be replaced to fix the issue. If it were me, i'd attack each problem with the cheapest solution first and work my way up.

Amilk3

for the sputtering and bog....have you checked or changed the spark plugs or spark plug wires? checked engine grounds? You could also have a bad or going bad O2 sensor. Any check engine lights?

The burning oil issue, in the high mileage cars, a lot of times with a honda it's the valve seals that need to be replaced to fix the issue. If it were me, i'd attack each problem with the cheapest solution first and work my way up.
At the time that this started the plugs and wires were fairly new but I am going to change them again since I have put on about 40k miles in the last year. The last code p0141 is a O2 sensor code so I imagine it will need to be replaced but that is a more recent issue than the sputtering.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At the time that this started the plugs and wires were fairly new but I am going to change them again since I have put on about 40k miles in the last year. The last code p0141 is a O2 sensor code so I imagine it will need to be replaced but that is a more recent issue than the sputtering.
The sputtering could have been from the O2 slowly going out. Ive had a situation where my O2 sensor clip wasn't fully snapped together and the bad connection caused sputtering long before i got a CEL. Instead of replacing the wires and plugs again, just inspect them. See if the plugs have white tips and such or corrosion on the plug wires.