98 Honda Civic Problem..

robert.ward.75470

Well I bought this car from a local and I knew it had problems.. Loads.. Got a majority of them fixed but this problem I can't seem to figure out..

My civic when shifting into a new gear and hitting the gas does a jumpy (like the car jerks because it wasn't ready or something lol).. After a period of driving while on gas or not it'll start to jump back an forth like its hesitating or something..

I can't quite describe it.. I've had the head cleaned and ported.. New timing belt installed.. New plugs and wires.. New distributor (but long drives I've noticed its losing oil from under it pretty bad) but I didn't think the hesitation was the cause of the problem I'm concerned about.. Am I wrong?

I have noticed the car is idling low.. Was told to adjust the idle with the screw on the throttle body? Also when hitting the gas at first time from sitting for a few it's like it sticks.. So I tap it slightly hard and it'll not give me a fuss after that but when parked again it'll be that way once more.. Someone said something about cleaning the throttle body? Would that be the hesitation I'm getting?

Sorry for being such a newb.. New to the Honda scene..

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should list what were the engines original issues & what you repaired. Are you sure the firing order is correct? Did you use factory or aftermarket parts for the distributor, cap, rotor, wires & plugs? What engine do you have? Is it a swapped motor? And most importantly... Are you getting any check-engine codes???

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well I bought this car from a local and I knew it had problems.. Loads.. Got a majority of them fixed but this problem I can't seem to figure out..

My civic when shifting into a new gear and hitting the gas does a jumpy (like the car jerks because it wasn't ready or something lol).. After a period of driving while on gas or not it'll start to jump back an forth like its hesitating or something..

I can't quite describe it.. I've had the head cleaned and ported.. New timing belt installed.. New plugs and wires.. New distributor (but long drives I've noticed its losing oil from under it pretty bad) but I didn't think the hesitation was the cause of the problem I'm concerned about.. Am I wrong?

I have noticed the car is idling low.. Was told to adjust the idle with the screw on the throttle body? Also when hitting the gas at first time from sitting for a few it's like it sticks.. So I tap it slightly hard and it'll not give me a fuss after that but when parked again it'll be that way once more.. Someone said something about cleaning the throttle body? Would that be the hesitation I'm getting?

Sorry for being such a newb.. New to the Honda scene..
What do you mean sticks? Like keeps revving or what?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Definitely clean that throttle body. Check it off the list. Sounds like this in an automatic transmission?

robert.ward.75470

I thought clutch but it's during drive like just cruising speeds and then starts the hopping back and forth.. Someone said it could be the throttle body and the car had been sitting for quite sometime.. It was acting up with the gas that was in it.. Hesitating when getting in upper speeds.. When I put the new gas in it.. It went away.. But now this new thing came up..

Let's show the list of parts replaced:

New tires
Inner and outer tie rods
Boots
Rear struts
Rear springs
Head gasket
Timing belt
Thermostat
Rear shoes
Plugs and wires
Distributor
Speed sensor
Mid pipe cracked (re welded and fixed)
New/used oil pan (it was crushed)
Ball joints
Replaced a bunch of fuses and bulbs
Battery hold down

That might be it.. Replaced a lot.. I know a lot has nothing to do with the problem.. But just so you knew the extent of work out into this car lol..

Definitely clean that throttle body. Check it off the list. Sounds like this in an automatic transmission?
It's a manual transmission..

It's the 1.6l, non vtec..

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should list what were the engines original issues & what you repaired. Are you sure the firing order is correct? Did you use factory or aftermarket parts for the distributor, cap, rotor, wires & plugs? What engine do you have? Is it a swapped motor? And most importantly... Are you getting any check-engine codes???
You have yet to answer the rest of my questions, which would help us all provide better answers. When I asked which engine you have, you shouldve replied with the engine code stamped on the front in the engine bay. Your continuing lack of details is leading me to believe you half-@$$ alot and will be lucky to resolve this issue without seeking out a reputable mechanic.

Last edited:

robert.ward.75470

Ok dude.. Chill.. I said I was a newb, you asked for what engine I provided what it was to my knowledge a good source.. It's a D16Y7..

Original problems was a blown head gasket an loose front end.. It had a problem idling, it would go as far as almost cutting out just sitting still.. Figured the blown head gasket was causing the loss in pressure causing it to act up like that..

All parts replaced were aftermarket.. Couldn't tell you if the motor was replaced as I bought the car like this an they had no info on it as they bought it for the same thing I did (to get back an forth to work) but he said he didn't have time to fix all the repairs.. No CEL is on the cluster so 2 things there could be the light don't work or it really isn't throwing any codes..

I'll recheck the leads from the distributor and head to make sure when I get home.. But the car was running for a couple days before it just starting acting up.. Now I can't get it to start.. Smh.. That I think it's a bad starter.. Did the battery test an it checked out.. I was having a problem with the starter because of the black an white being "loose"..

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Simply turn the key to the first position, the CEL should come on until you start the car IIRC (this way you know if the light works in the first place.. If it is throwing a code the light will stay on with it running, at which point you need to do the procedure to check what code(s) it is.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would recommend cleaning the TB and IACV for sure. If your throttle plate is sticking, the IACV is most likely gunked up too.

How does the car run when it's started cold? Same issue?

robert.ward.75470

The CEL didn't come on.. If j could get the car to start id take it to Autozone to have it scanned.. At least the light may not be on but the code is still in the background.. Right?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The ECU will save any codes regardless if the bulb works. Either your check-engine light bulb burned out or it was removed. Remove the cluster and inspect it. If its removed then its likely the previous owner knew exactly whats wrong and did who knows what to get it to run long enough to sell it.

You can confirm if the engine has been swapped by checking if all the VINs match. This is all available through some mild online searching or just the humility of asking how to do so.

By the way, most of your answers sound like guesses and not enough diagnosing. Start listening to the several suggestions youve been given and be proactive. If you wont listen then why be here asking? We get enough new members who put forth no effort and want everything spoon fed to them. Thats a disrespect to the members who offer help FOR FREE. If you dont cooperate with the help you request then tow your car to a mechanic and let him work. Be prepared to be asked questions. Otherwise they will simply charge you added time for diagnosis. The choice is yours.

Last edited:

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
+1 @HeX
Step 1: Remove TB
Step 2: Clean the fk out of TB
Step 3: Remove IACV
Step 4: Clean the fk out of IACV
Step 5: Reassemble

robert.ward.75470

Hex.. I've been doing this.. As I scroll down I answer what people are asking.. I'm also trying to diagnose at the same time but as I've said before, I'm learning this car, never messed with Honda before..

Thank you XpLod3r and Joe Mason.. I will clean those this weekend or Friday when I get off work.. These overtime shifts have been killing me..

Yes XpLOd3r even pulling out the driveway it starts doing it.. But it seems to be idling low.. I think that's why it's doing the weird hesitation.. It's when I release off the clutch and if I'm in low RPMs (say 4th or 5th gear) the car engine will start to bounce back and forth like it's not getting enough gas possibly? Yes I'm guessing..

I figured out the starter has a bad solenoid, so I managed to get the car going and placed a new starter on order.. Knew the starter was gonna give me problems..

I will check the engine for VINs if not this week (if suns out) or Friday/this weekend to verify its the original motor..

Okay well I'll continue to work on my car at my house and not have it towed.. Neither am I being disrespectful nor asking to be spoon fed answers.. I simply asked questions for help.. I've been getting it through you guys plus also some Honda friends of mine.. The car has other issues but I've been fixing those as well.. Just this problem nobody was real sure about why the car is acting like that just that maybe the TB needed to be cleaned up or the old gas that was in it (wasn't much) is older then the original owner thought and it's possibly bad bad bad bad lol..

robert.ward.75470

Bad hoses was the problem found the busted hose.. Overflow was full but the radiator was about empty.. Replaced all the hoses (they were all scrinchy and weak feeling)

Also.. Would anyone know a really good Distributor? The one I had on it was aftermarket so I replaced it.. Since then I've replaced it with two junkyard distributors since they were stock but they've leaked.. So screw it I'll just buy a new one but I want to get a good one.. Any thoughts?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oem for the distributor. They are expensive but are worth it. As you found, trying to cheap out on them will cost you more in the long run having to keep replacing them. Had mine go out and tried the same thing; 3 distributors later finally went new/reman OEM and the car ran like a top until some dude figured he needed to park his pickup into my trunk at 60mph.