98 hx swap to manual... need some info and advice

novak

SO I have a 98 hx with the amazing CVT tranny

I've been wanting to swap to a manual for a while now and I finally have the money.

so searching local salvage yards I found a 93 Honda civic si hatch

has the d16z6 motor (no heads cracked block) tranny is good has everything, mounts, linkages, clutch assembly, pedals ect,.

my problem is wondering if I swap out my auto for that tranny will I need to change up the ecu?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you swap from automatic to manual, you need an ecu that goes with a manual.

RonJ

Banned
This^

I think you'll also need a different primary O2 sensor.

There also may be differences between the CVT and manual mount brackets that require some reconfiguring involving cutting and welding.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You don't need it, but it's better to have. WIth the auto ECU it will have nooo clue what the f*** is going on, so on the dash both P and D will flash, unless you change that out as well. Car will still run properly though.

After we did the auto to manual swap on my car, I rocked the same automatic P2E ECU for a good while. I probably would have kept it, but ended up doing a mini-me conversion so I had to get a ECU with Vtec.

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
You don't need it
If Indiana does inspections requiring that all emissions warning lights work and be off, then the OP WILL need the manual ECU.

In addition, I'm not convinced that the auto Y5 ECU will run the manual Y5 properly.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If Indiana does inspections requiring that all emissions warning lights work and be off, then the OP WILL need the manual ECU.

In addition, I'm not convinced that the auto Y5 ECU will run the manual Y5 properly.
Are P and D lights on the dashboard considered emissions warning lights though? According to Indiana's BMV it does require the MIL to be off, but says nothing about any other lights on the dash.

That being said, the MIL was not on when I had the auto P2E ECU with the manual transmission. Though we did this with a Y7 motor, not a Y5.

RonJ

Banned
Are P and D lights on the dashboard considered emissions warning lights though? According to Indiana's BMV it does require the MIL to be off, but says nothing about any other lights on the dash.
For 92-00 Civics, all transmission trouble codes also cause the CEL to remain on steady and have an associated CEL code.

That being said, the MIL was not on when I had the auto P2E ECU with the manual transmission.
Was the CEL disabled? The CEL should have been on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For 92-00 Civics, all transmission trouble codes also cause the CEL to remain on steady and have an associated CEL code.

Was the CEL disabled? The CEL should have been on.
I honestly don't believe the CEL was on. But I went Googling and found your thread on HT (this) so it would make sense that it would be on. :what:

My car did drive fine though!

If that's the case, then yep, OP will need a manual ECU to pass emissions.

novak

thanks for the info guys

but my part of Indiana does not do emission testing, my last 4 cars would've never passed. lol

my biggest worry is that the car would run weird

so if anyone can give me info or lead me towards info on the hx tranny and motor mounts in relation to other sub models that would be very apriciated

im going to go see what I can find for a bit too

ill relay the info and sources for everyone also

so everything Is fairly straight forward except for the passenger side strut tower mount

it seemt the you need the manual mount for the tranny and the hx chassis mount side and you need to cut and weld them together to make this work

I do not have access to a welder so is there any after market mount for this that anyone knows of?

I tried searching and it only came up to other people who have don't this swap and made there own mount by welding

great write up as far as the mechanical swap just falls short on the actual electrical side http://www.civic-hx.6thgearadvertising.com/

sudden realization the hx also was available in a manual, right?

so is it possible that the hx chassis is the same between the manual and the auto platforms??

if so would the mount work for other manual trannys for a swap???

Last edited by a moderator:

cuetip

Registered VIP
Just remember when u go to a salvage yard make sure u grab everything for what u want to do, if you dont think u need a part grab it anyways, hate to not have all the parts ready for the install and have to drive back and hope that part is still there

I had a 99 hx that was a stick and my grandpa has a 97 hx thats an auto lol

Last edited by a moderator:

novak

it would be awesome if you could take a pic of your passenger stut tower tranny mount and post it or just compare to your gramps and tell us if theyre different