98 LX: Power lock problem & do I have keyless entry?

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
My 1998 Honda Civic LX automatic door locks stopped working this past weekend.

I do not have the key-less entry, just the power door locks.

Is the Control box in the driver side door?

I was thinking about buying an after market key-less entry system and just swapping out the old control box with the new key-less entry box. Do you guys think that would work?

Also, how do I rule out the driver door lock/unlock switch?

Thank you.

RonJ

Banned
What exactly is the problem?

The keyless receiver for your Civic would be located in the stock radio. If you have the stock radio, then you just need a remote.

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
My 1998 Honda Civic LX automatic door locks stopped working this past weekend.

I do not have the key-less entry, just the power door locks.

RonJ

Banned
Is fuse 51 under the hood blown?

Just curious, how do you know that your Civic does not have the keyless system?

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Fuse 51 under the hood is not blown. Good question.

I do not know that I do not have the keyless sytem if it was installed by the factory, but I did not opt for it at the dealship when I purchased the car.

When I try to use the switch on the driver side door to lock or unlock the car, nothing happens. First time in 10 years it has not worked.

RonJ

Banned
Fuse 51 under the hood is not blown...When I try to use the switch on the driver side door to lock or unlock the car, nothing happens. First time in 10 years it has not worked.
The power lock control unit is behind the driver door panel. Check whether the Wht/Grn wire at the control unit has battery voltage.

jcamb

5+ Year Member
i have an extra power door lock control unit you can have for 20 bucks, in case it turns out thats what you need...

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
RonJ, can you contact me offline at nickenumbers@yahoo.com I wanted to ask you about the keyless aspect of the 98 Honda Civic. Even though I didn't opt for the keyless option from the dealership, what do I need to do to activate it?

I do have the Valet Switch on my head unit/radio.

Thank you.

RonJ

Banned
Pull the radio out and check whether connector B (see diagrams) is plugged into the rear of the radio or possibly loose and unplugged behind the radio. If you have connector B, plug it into the rear of the radio and purchase a remote.

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
RonJ, excellent. Thank you.

More questions.

1. Where would you suggest that I get the wireless remote?

2. Does it have to be a Honda Civic wireless remote or is any remote smart enough to memorize the signal from the head unit/radio?

Thank you.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
HI! newbie here! Just want to thank Ronj for the useful post. I am a 2nd owner of a 1998 civic lx and I bought it without keyless entry from the first owner. After reading this forum thread, I checked the back of the factory radio and confirmed the connection of the B connector at the back of the unit and the presence of the valet switch. Got a used remote from ebay,failed to program the remote in my first attempt bec. the radio wont enter the programming mode, found out that its because the 7.5A fuse is not installed under the dash. Used the spare fuse and voila its working!! Thank you again for the very useful post;)

RonJ

Banned
...Got a used remote from ebay,failed to program the remote in my first attempt bec. the radio wont enter the programming mode, found out that its because the 7.5A fuse is not installed under the dash. Used the spare fuse and voila its working!!
That's a very helpful tip. Thanks.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
3rd connector attached to radio harness

When I pulled out the radio to check for the keyless connector, I saw a green connector taped to the audio harness, its roughly the same size of the A connector on my factory radio. Just wonderin what the 3rd connector is for? Can i use this one to connect to an aftermarket radio and retain my factory radio as keyless receiver unit? Thanks!

RonJ

Banned
When I pulled out the radio to check for the keyless connector, I saw a green connector taped to the audio harness, its roughly the same size of the A connector on my factory radio. Just wonderin what the 3rd connector is for?

Not sure. Maybe for the security system option, but I'm just guessing.

Can i use this one to connect to an aftermarket radio and retain my factory radio as keyless receiver unit?

If you wish to install an aftermarket radio, unplug connector A but leave connector B plugged in and then carefully tuck the stock radio into the space behind where the aftermarket radio is installed. Use free connector A for the aftermarket radio. A limitation of this setup, however, is that you need access to the tucked stock radio if/when you need to reprogram the remote.