99 Civic EX stock camber?

16.casey

I havent had my civic for very long so Im still trying to fix the problems. I recently took it to get it aligned but they said I needed an inner tie rod. This was on a list of other things that included rear camber kits that were priced at $220. After doing some research Ive seen aftermarket cambet kits going for far less. My mechanic said he thought it could be the bushings inside them, but he doesnt think that would make my wheels tilted as much as they are. I guess my question is if Civics come stock with some sort of camber and do I even need to buy camber kits, as well as which brand I should get. I can add pics of the wheels if need be.

Otto85

All cars have zero camber when stock, the camber is from the car being lowered. Sounds like you have the stock upper control arms in the front and trailing arms in the rear, bushings have nothing to do with it. You can either put the ride height back to factory if it's lowered on adjustable coil overs do a little research find the stock height measurements and adjust the coil overs. If it's lowered on lowering springs you'd have to put some stock springs back on it. But if you wish to keep it lowered there is a massive amount of camber kits on the market all the name brands are good just stay away from any no name eBay sets. Hope that helps you

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

16.casey

All cars have zero camber when stock, the camber is from the car being lowered. Sounds like you have the stock upper control arms in the front and trailing arms in the rear, bushings have nothing to do with it. You can either put the ride height back to factory if it's lowered on adjustable coil overs do a little research find the stock height measurements and adjust the coil overs. If it's lowered on lowering springs you'd have to put some stock springs back on it. But if you wish to keep it lowered there is a massive amount of camber kits on the market all the name brands are good just stay away from any no name eBay sets. Hope that helps you

To my knowledge, its at stock height. It has a few inches of wheel gap. But, honestly, I dont know what its stock height is supposed to be. Do you by chance know? Just the measurements of the wheel gap, or maybe the fender to the ground? I used google for nearly 30 minutes. Couldnt find an answer

Otto85

You can't go by wheel gap to determine if it's stock or measure the ride height from the ground to the wheel well both for the same reason, if the tires on the car are bigger or smaller then the factory recommended size it will throw the measurements off. Example if the ride height is 12.5 inches and the tires are 1 inch bigger and you measure from the ground up and measures at 12.5 your ride height is actually 11.5 because of the 1 inch bigger tires. The same goes for measuring the wheel gap that 1 inch will sit higher inside the wheel well. Its best to have the car sitting on even ground with the ebrake off slightly bounce the car around to make sure the suspension is in a relaxed state then measure from the top of the hub to the highest point on the wheel well opening. If I remember correctly the stock ride height is 14.5 in the front and 14 in the rear. As I said earlier camber is caused by lowering the car. If you can post pics from the front and side of the wheels

16.casey

You can't go by wheel gap to determine if it's stock or measure the ride height from the ground to the wheel well both for the same reason, if the tires on the car are bigger or smaller then the factory recommended size it will throw the measurements off. Example if the ride height is 12.5 inches and the tires are 1 inch bigger and you measure from the ground up and measures at 12.5 your ride height is actually 11.5 because of the 1 inch bigger tires. The same goes for measuring the wheel gap that 1 inch will sit higher inside the wheel well. Its best to have the car sitting on even ground with the ebrake off slightly bounce the car around to make sure the suspension is in a relaxed state then measure from the top of the hub to the highest point on the wheel well opening. If I remember correctly the stock ride height is 14.5 in the front and 14 in the rear. As I said earlier camber is caused by lowering the car. If you can post pics from the front and side of the wheels

This is the most even ground I can get atm without leave my home.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Otto85

Ok so just looking at the car the ride height looks about right maybe lowered a couple inchs which could cause camber wear now couple that with it needing a alignment along with a bad inner tie rod end would definitely cause that wear. Once the tires worn like that it will show slot more negative camber in the stance then before it got that bad, I would replace the tire inner tie rod end and get the alignment done and see if that correct it. As for the trailing arm bushings their usually only like $30 I'd go ahead and replace that or spend $60-80 for new adjustable trailing arms and be done with that aspect

16.casey

Ok so just looking at the car the ride height looks about right maybe lowered a couple inchs which could cause camber wear now couple that with it needing a alignment along with a bad inner tie rod end would definitely cause that wear. Once the tires worn like that it will show slot more negative camber in the stance then before it got that bad, I would replace the tire inner tie rod end and get the alignment done and see if that correct it. As for the trailing arm bushings their usually only like $30 I'd go ahead and replace that or spend $60-80 for new adjustable trailing arms and be done with that aspect

The front needs the alignment and tie rod. That would make the rear have camber wear?

Otto85

No but that tire was likely rotated to the rear after it was ate up and probably is the cause of the bad trailing arm bushing. The only other thing that could cause it on the rear that I can think of would be if your trailing arm or lower control arm is bent all to shite but your machanic didn't mention that

Last edited:

16.casey

No but that would give the rear the appearance of camber when the tire is put is put in the rear

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Otto85

Not a problem hope it helps definitely get the tie rod end fixed replace the tire and if for some reason there is a underlined problem they would be able to tell when they do the alignment