99 Civic LX Heater Core Removal

RRD99CivicLX

Hi all! My first post and need some assistance! I found the passenger side full of coolant the other day. Checked the radiator and noticed its empty. Now the laborious task of taking the heater core out. I have removed the seats, carpeting and the dash. I'm in the process of removing the heater core. My car is equipped with AC and read somewhere that the AC need to be evacuated. Is there a reason why the AC needs to be disconnected to remove the heater core? TIA - Ray

codeman76

As long as the heater core housing can be removed without having to remove the a/c components housing or blower motor housing i don't see a reason to evacuate the ac system. It should be held in place with bolts and clips just remove those from the heater core housing and see if you can remove it separate. When i removed my heater core housing i remember there was a bolt holding it in place that was in the engine bay on the firewall but that was in an 89 civic so i don't know if your setup is similar or not.

RonJ

Banned
The evaporator behind the glove box must be removed in order to take the heater unit out. Therefore, you need to have the A/C refrigerant recovered before starting the work. Afterwards, the A/C system must be evacuated and recharged with oil and refrigerant.