99 Civic Restoration Project

Badorder00

Here are the problems:

1. My 99 Honda Civic Ex Coupe has been sitting in the drive way for at least 3 years.

2. The original engine had rod knock and then much to my displeasure the replacement engine also had the same problem but worse. I can get a really good deal on a rebuild NOW and have both engines still. The worse one is still in the car. So after the rebuild I'll need a swap too.

3. The windows also are off track and the driver side window is shattered. Instead of covering it up I decided to neglect it more and now there is almost 2 years of the elements in my cars interior including tons of mold and a wasps nest. (fun)

4. The person who last worked on the car didn't put all of the parts back under the hood (mostly around the air intake system I think). Some of these parts are very rusty because they have been sitting in the trunk, which unfortunately had a ton of stagnant water. There is loose belt and some other parts i think they are called CV joints but I could be way off. They look like they have something to do with the wheels.

5. My very good friend and mechanic died a month ago so this is now a DIY project. The only problem is I'm clueless. However, I have plenty of time and am really willing to learn my way around the car. The way I see it, the car is so messed up that even if I did mess it up more it wouldn't matter.

Is there anybody out there who can give this newb some advice outside of junk it and get a new car?

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2. If both engines are shot, instead of getting one fixed then swapping it in, it would likely be more most cost effective to just buy another well running D16Y8 engine to swap in than to it is to rebuild the 2nd one. Sell both current engines to recoop funds.

3. Window regulators and tracks are cheap and easy to change as is the glass which shouldnt be easy to source from a junk yard. Once you resolve that, strip the interior, hose it down, let it air dry on a sunny day while they last, and thoroughly clean everything.

4. Make a list of what you need inside & out and enjoy a day or weekend of junkyard hopping as buying alot at one place will yield bigger savings.

5. If you are truly willing to learn then you're in the right forum because virtually everything you will need to tackle has been covered and documented many times. Research will be your best friend.

Good luck.

Badorder00

Okay so the rebuild is only going to cost me $260. Its a long story but its something my recently deseased friend's friend agreed to do for me.

Also I'm going to download the service manual. I'm hoping that will help me with taking inventory of what I have and what I need as far as the loose parts go.

Today I'm going to remove the seats and kill the mold with vinegar. Today it will be really hot here in Houston high of 96. I'm letting the car air out as we speak.

Is there anything I should worry about as far as the car sitting there for 3 years goes?

Krukowskid

Tires, suspension, brakes and every fluid in car should be crap after 3 years standing. Check exhaust and car for rust

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you trust the mechanic?
What does this $260 job entail?
Do you plan on installing the engine yourself using the service manual and online threads as guidelines? If you lack the tools then you should consider asking the mechanic to install the engine too.

Speaking of which, why do you think the 2nd engine is worse?

Tires, suspension, brakes and every fluid in car should be crap after 3 years standing. Check exhaust and car for rust
I agree. You may also want to play it safe & at least inspect the gas in the tank.

Badorder00

Do you trust the mechanic?
Yeah my friend has used him for years.

What does this $260 job entail?
He printed out a list for what he was going to do. I'll post it when I get back home.

Do you plan on installing the engine yourself using the service manual and online threads as guidelines?
Yes I do plan on doing it myself with the service manual and online threads.

If you lack the tools then you should consider asking the mechanic to install the engine too.
While I may not have the tools my friend's mom will let me use his and I can rent an engine hoist for $40 a day.

Speaking of which, why do you think the 2nd engine is worse?
3 years ago when my friend swaped it out the rod knock was louder when we started it up.

Last edited by a moderator: