99 civic si, problems starting

Shrillin

Respected
Today the car wouldn't start right away. I turn the key and hold, and the oil and battery light are on in the dash but it doesn't turn over. I can hear the fuel pump priming every time on the 2nd click as usual. HIDs are turned off (don't know if that matters). Everything else in the car works fine during this time. Eventually after a minute or two, it started up just fine. Stopped at the corner store like 2 minutes away, dreading turning it off incase it was going to happen again. When I came back out it wouldn't start. A tad frustrated I jerked my body fordward in effort to rattle something around in the car to maybe get it to start, while I turned the key once more. It started.

Car runs and idles beautifully. Today is the 10th day I've had the car. I remember at least 2 other times when this happened but I thought nothing of it, because those 2 other times, it started right away on the 2nd try (therfore I thought nothing of it, "maybe my alarm was still preventing it from starting, but what do I know"), but maybe that's when this was truly all starting (or not starting :p ). It's a prestige alarm, window sensors and auto start (maybe ignition cut off??).

I have googled issues like this with my 98 accord in the past (its symptoms were a tad different in that the key signal wasn't coming on, and fuel pump wasn't priming, no alarm) and found answers like, main relay, key chip or ignition cylinder bad. I found that taping the main relay would temporarily fix it, and I could get home without issues. But I hear the fuel pump, so don't think it's that.

Now, I know it could be a few different things, possibly including the battery getting old, or alternater going out. I'm planning on getting the battery and alternater checked out asap. But is there any other common issues I might investigate as well?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alternator won't have anything to do with the car not starting unless it's not charging the battery, start with fuses and the battery. If it's not the battery pull the starter off and have it checked also

Shrillin

Respected
A little update. The problem happened before I left work yesterday and again when I left for work this morning. These times however, instead of waiting a few minutes, I instantly removed the key, and tried with the auto start, and it started up immediately. Also, so far it has never failed to start with the auto start. I'm thinking something is preventing power to the starter when using just the key sometimes. Still need to check fuses and battery.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Auto start as in remote start? Maybe who ever installed it messed up the wiring some how. This is a manual em1 correct, I would probably look into the clutch switch

Shrillin

Respected
Auto start as in remote start? Maybe who ever installed it messed up the wiring some how. This is a manual em1 correct, I would probably look into the clutch switch
Remote start yes (sorry, the seller called it auto, not remote lol). And yes it's an em1 (manual), all stock accept the mentioned alarm and HIDs. I will definitely look into this though, thanks!