99 EX coupe Noob Questions - Anti-Freeze/SRS/Clutch

DeechozinwuN

5+ Year Member
Whatsup guys, i just got myself a 99 EX coupe and i have a couple troubleshooting questions i need answered and this looks like the area to post up this topic? (sorry if it isn't)

1. My first question was about my SRS light staying on. But i guess i found the HOW TO link on here to take that off? i was just wondering if there is any other things i should know about before i do the HOW TO thread on my SRS light. (or should i just get it checked by the dealership?)

2. My second question is about my anti-freeze coolant. Lately, my coolant has been running out quickly and there has been some residue of coolant/water splattered on my engine everytime i take it off for after a drive. I don't know where the coolant is coming out from and/or why its doing that? One day i refilled my anti-freeze and about 2 days later it was empty and i was scared that my radiator was going to overheat. I took out the anti-freeze container and there seems to be no hole or anything on the container. Do you think it is the radiator?

3. My last question is about my clutch. My clutch is very soft to push and doesn't really have that same "harder to push" clutch as other 5 speed cars. When i press the clutch, it feels more like a gas pedal. Should i just get it replaced? If i do, what kind of clutch do you guys suggest that is affordable? (stock/aftermarket)

I hope you guys can answer my questions ! Thanks in advance !=)

QUICK QUESTION: Is it a good idea to get a maintenence check at Honda? What kind should i get?
MILEAGE: 186,XXX

Blue_EF

5+ Year Member
2. My second question is about my anti-freeze coolant. Lately, my coolant has been running out quickly and there has been some residue of coolant/water splattered on my engine everytime i take it off for after a drive. I don't know where the coolant is coming out from and/or why its doing that? One day i refilled my anti-freeze and about 2 days later it was empty and i was scared that my radiator was going to overheat. I took out the anti-freeze container and there seems to be no hole or anything on the container. Do you think it is the radiator?
bump

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea i want to know about my SRS light to because that s**t goes on then it turn off and it kinda stay of=)

landwrx

5+ Year Member
Hey DeechozinwuN,
Here is a couple of my suggestions
1. I am assuming that you know that SRS means Safety Restraint System or in layman's terms, an airbag and its system. I see no harm in taking it to a Honda dealer and have them take a quick look at it, I don't think it would cost you anything, and it could be a quick fix.

As for a maintenance checkup, if you have never had one, I might recommend it, but mainly all they do is look over you engine, belts, fluids, and plug in to the computer.

DeechozinwuN

5+ Year Member
Hey DeechozinwuN,
1. I am assuming that you know that SRS means Safety Restraint System or in layman's terms, an airbag and its system. I see no harm in taking it to a Honda dealer and have them take a quick look at it, I don't think it would cost you anything, and it could be a quick fix.

As for a maintenance checkup, if you have never had one, I might recommend it, but mainly all they do is look over you engine, belts, fluids, and plug in to the computer.
ooh is that all they do? aright thanks for the headsup

Kan anybody else answer some of my other Q's please?? thanks

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for #2. I think you may have a head gasket problem. My friend's car would over head and there would be coolant all over the engine, but we could not figure out where it was coming from. all the hoses seemed to be fine, but turned out he had a busted head gasket.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey DeechozinwuN,
Incorrect. It does cost to have them check it out. I currently have mine on and need to get it checked out. I called my dealership and they said it cost $130 for the diagnostic check. And the $130 goes towards the cost of fixing it. Call your dealer and see what they say.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
did you try taking the container out and filling it with water and seeing if the water leaks, sometimes holes aren't too visible to the eye and/or you just missed something? i dunno just a thought

DeechozinwuN

5+ Year Member
yeah i pulled out the container and filled it with water and the container is fine. but it does sound like the head gasked it busted. do you guys know an estimate on how much it would be to get that fixed? thanks for the replies

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its not hard to fix urself. about $100 in parts oil , coolant, head gasket set ect. Get a helms manual, but make sure that is the problem first of all. A garage will charge anywhere from $400-700

DeechozinwuN

5+ Year Member
its not hard to fix urself. about $100 in parts oil , coolant, head gasket set ect. Get a helms manual, but make sure that is the problem first of all. A garage will charge anywhere from $400-700
oh ok thanks man.

do garages charge for diagnostic checks? do those also run for $400 - $700 also?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
someone to just check ur car out?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member