99 EX Sedan build, the "Ghost"

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The trailing arms were installed last weekend, just haven't had time to document anything till now. Last night, my idle started surging. Was pretty damn annoying. Found a collapsed PCV hose this morning, so after changing the hose and PCV valve she idles perfectly now. While I was under the car, I changed the shifter bushings out.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so not related to the CIvic, but I just spent several hours changing the water pump on the wife's CRV. This is after changing her driver door lock assembly last weekend

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard some not so good things about the Energy Suspension RTAs. Just curious but did you consider any other ones and what made you choose those?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
price and ease of install. If I had easy access to a press, I'd have installed stock bushings instead. It's also my daily driver,so can't afford to have it down for long periods of time either. If I had easy access to a shop press, and the funds to buy press-in bushings, I would have gone that route instead

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not much to update. No funds to do much right now. Plan on getting a new water pump soon so I can do a headgasket/water pump/timing belt change. Don't know when any of these had been performed (if at all) by the previous owner. Head gasket not a common maintenance item, but I have an extra lying around from an engine build I was doing. With the mileage on the car, and the tiny but steady loss of coolant, think I might have a slight leak.
Have also been looking around locally for an EM1 grill, or at least a good condition grill from a 2 door model.
Hope to also do a wheel change, bushing upgrade, and update my springs and shocks in the next couple of months. Might have to be with tax return funds.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so no new parts, fixes, etc. BUT, I just saw locally posted Integra for sale that was EXACTLY what I was looking for (98 4 door, NO MODIFICATIONS, all straight and clean, with a 5 speed trans) for $3500. AND, of course, I'm broke. Even assuming it's still available when I get my tax return, wife's already denied the request. Got too many medical bills overdue. She's right, of course. got to prioritize, but MAN was that car clean.
What do YOU guys think?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nope, wasn't a GSR, just a clean LS with good suspension, camber correction kit, and GSR wheels. Not sure they ever made any 4 door 5 speed GSRs here in the States

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree. too bad I have to pass it up. And literally 5 minutes after I posted how I wasn't sure if they ever imported any 5 speed 4 door GSRs here, I found one for sale on craigslist. pretty rough condition, and possible it was a 5 speed conversion. But, apparently they CAN be found.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I finally got some cash together, and ordered some essentials that should be arriving in a few days. New Helms manual, NGK plug wires, rebuilt calipers, and some Brembo blank rotors. Pics to follow, once the packages arrive. Also, hoping to order some new shocks, springs, and adjustable control arms. On the lookout for some new wheels as well. (possibly some HX wheels)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ARGH! local dude had some HX wheels on craigslist, $200 for all 4 in gunmetal. called dude to setup meet time, and found out 2 of the rims are curb rashed. So, no bueno.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finally got some packages in the mail. Sorry about the bad quality pics, had to use my wife's Ipod. My camera's batteries had crapped out.
So, I now have a BRAND NEW Helms manual. Bought directly from Helms for around $50. Lowest I'd found in Ebay was used for about $80? How does THAT make any sense?
Also, the NGK plug wires arrived, as well as the Centric rebuilt calipers, and the Brembo blank rotors.
Hope to get all this installed soon. Not looking forward to refreshing the rear drum brake shoes, though. Those are always a b***h to work on.

Attachments

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Nice update! But as far as the wheels go, you could talk him down, then use filler primer or just regular filler to get rid of the curb rash. Just my two cents.
there's a mighty car mods video on youtube on how to do it.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the advice. Haven't seen that posting on Craigslist in a while, so I think someone else may have taken him up on that offer. also thought about just offering to buy 2 of them, and trying to source 2 others later, but I only seem to see them in silver and figured more trouble than it was worth. oh, well. right now, function over form. wheels can always come later

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
was all set to change my brakes last weekend, when I got an offer from a co-worker to change the rear brakes on her 2007 TL. Said they'd been loud for a couple weeks. Well, she was down to the backing plate on one of the inner pads, and had deeply scored a rotor. New pads, new rotors for her.
While I was under there, found that the previous owner had switched to aftermarket suspension. H&R OE springs, riding on Koni sport shocks. Plus, the car was using ATE Super Blue fluid. She bought the car used, so looks like she got a better deal than she originally thought.

SO, looks like I'll be upgrading MY brakes tomorrow

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so after a couple weeks of crummy weather on the weekends, I was FINALLY able to get my brakes changed in the front.
Went with Brembo blank rotors, and Centric rebuilt calipers. The calipers came "loaded", so didn't have to worry about buying new pads. Seems they "scorch" the pads for you, so you don't have to do the whole break in procedure. Pretty cool.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, the first photo is of the car before I did any work on it. I was GOING to start on the driver side (hence the driver side photo) but ended up doing the passenger side first.

ok, so the caliper is now off, and the brake line disconnected. That rotor has seen better days..

and now look at the old caliper. that piston had some serious rust flecks

compare the old with this rebuilt caliper..

few taps with impact driver, and the retaining screws (and the rotor itself) are now off. That hub needs a little cleaning up

after cleaning up the hub, the shiny new rotor gets installed

bolted the bracket to the knuckle...

and now the pads and caliper are installed.