99 EX Sedan build, the "Ghost"

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got both sides installed, but we started getting some really light rain as I was finishing. Weather was reporting heavier rains on the way, so didn't get a chance to look at the rear drums. Had to hurry and just bleed the front brakes, so I could at least get the car road tested. Bought some new brake shoes anyway as I was out testing the brakes (been hearing a little noise recently from the rear) and will have to check them out in the near future, weather permitting.
The new brakes stop a LOT better than the old ones ever did, and look might pretty as well. Too bad they're still hiding behind stock steelies. It's going to be a while before I get wheels, as I'm probably going to be changing the shocks and springs (and replacing bushings) first.

While I was bleeding the brakes in the front, also decided to bleed the clutch. Fluid in the reservoir was pretty dark, so no telling how old it was (likely the original fluid from 99).
I've also gathered a few more parts, in preparation for my timing belt/head gasket change. (suspect the head gasket might have a small leak, because I'm losing a small amount of coolant, and can't find any visible leaks. Thankfully, it isn't showing up in the oil. So, while I'm changing timing belt, I'll change the head gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, and throttle body gaskets as well.
received these earlier this week in the mail...

These wires have been just sitting in my garage for the past several weeks, so decided to swap them on today since I finally had the time. Didn't have time to change the valve cover, because it started raining a few minutes after I snapped this pic. I'll just change the cover when I do the timing belt

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That.... was a very detailed brake install
Yeah. It's rare that I ever get to do anything to the car, so when I do I seem to make a big production of it. Was extremely easy to do. Hardest part was bleeding the brakes afterward. Oh, and trying to fit my torque wrench in there when I was bolting everything back up. My 1/2 inch torque wrench has about a 2 foot handle and won't fit inside the wheel well, so I could only move it a few degrees each turn before I was hitting either the bumper or the ground. But, I managed.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
everything. caliper brackets, caliper bolts, brake line banjo bolt, etc

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, I finally looked over the rear brakes today. Had been a little noisy on occasion. Pulled the drums, and aside from a lot of brake dust and a little glazing, looked good. Almost new thickness on the brake shoes. cleaned everything up, scuffed the shoes, and regreased the backing plate, etc.
Also decided to go ahead and start my timing belt replacement. While I'm at it, replacing the water pump, thermostat, intake and exhaust gaskets, and head gasket. When I pulled the valve cover off (I only bought the car last year, this is the first time I've removed it) I was REALLY disappointed. I've seen some dirty valve trains before, but NEVER anything as filthy as this. Not just bronzed looking, but BLACK and CRUSTY. Concerned that I might have some bad valve seals. Not gonna know for sure how bad everything is until I finish removing the head and clean everything up.
Pics will be posted once I get the job completed. (I thought I set aside enough time this weekend, but after looking at the head, not so sure now)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
progression of the rear brake inspection...

and here's the engine teardown...

look how crusty and filthy this is.

pistons looking dirty as well

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks! Slowly but surely getting parts replaced. Can't wait till I can change something fun, such as suspension and wheels. Have a feeling it's going to be a while, though

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not much to report, but noticed recently my outer tread blocks were wearing pretty fast. Have only had the car for a year, and no idea when (if ever) the alignment was last checked. Got alignment done today, and boy was it way out of spec for toe. Drives completely different now.
Kinda funny, their recommended maintenance on the post work writeup was oil change, fuel system cleaner, and coolant flush/fill. Guess it's based soley on mileage, since I just replaced coolant and changed oil 2 weeks ago. Also put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank 2 days ago.

Last week while searching for a new A/C tensioner pulley nut (long story), I came across a 99 with rear mudguards. In the year I've had the car, this is the first time I've found a car at the salvage yard that still had mudguards. Sadly, the car had already been stripped of the front guards, but I grabbed that rear set for only $11.
Was cleaning them up, and hitting them with some black bumper coating when I ran out of paint. Seems my second can of bumper coating isn't black, but dark grey. So, looks like I'll have to hit the store before I can get these installed.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not much to report, but noticed recently my outer tread blocks were wearing pretty fast. Have only had the car for a year, and no idea when (if ever) the alignment was last checked. Got alignment done today, and boy was it way out of spec for toe. Drives completely different now.
Kinda funny, their recommended maintenance on the post work writeup was oil change, fuel system cleaner, and coolant flush/fill. Guess it's based soley on mileage, since I just replaced coolant and changed oil 2 weeks ago. Also put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank 2 days ago.

Last week while searching for a new A/C tensioner pulley nut (long story), I came across a 99 with rear mudguards. In the year I've had the car, this is the first time I've found a car at the salvage yard that still had mudguards. Sadly, the car had already been stripped of the front guards, but I grabbed that rear set for only $11.
Was cleaning them up, and hitting them with some black bumper coating when I ran out of paint. Seems my second can of bumper coating isn't black, but dark grey. So, looks like I'll have to hit the store before I can get these installed.

Can you not still get the mudguards for the Sedan from Honda? What bumper coating paint are you using?
I just noticed you're from the DFW too.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
probably can get a set from Honda, but I'm on a junkyard budget right now. I was kinda surprised you can still get an EM1 grill from Majestic Honda, as well as HX wheels. As to the brand of paint, it's Dupli-color. The color of the caps are REALLY close between the black and the dark grey. It's made specifically for bumper and side trim plastic.
As far as location, I live in Benbrook. (If not familiar with it, it's southwest loop of 820, near the Hulen area in Fort Worth)
I know several members are in Texas, but seem everyone else was in either Houston or Austin area. Glad to know someone a little more local is on the forum.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
As far as location, I live in Benbrook. (If not familiar with it, it's southwest loop of 820, near the Hulen area in Fort Worth)
I know several members are in Texas, but seem everyone else was in either Houston or Austin area. Glad to know someone a little more local is on the forum.
There used to be a bunch of DFW people on here... But that was about 8 or 10 years ago. I've lost touch with most of them and the others don't have their Hondas any more.
I'm on the opposite side of the metroplex from you near 75 and George Bush.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool. I posted some pics of the recent Cupcake meet at Lonestar Park in the event coverage forum. Too bad it wasn't warmer that day

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
probably can get a set from Honda, but I'm on a junkyard budget right now. I was kinda surprised you can still get an EM1 grill from Majestic Honda, as well as HX wheels. As to the brand of paint, it's Dupli-color. The color of the caps are REALLY close between the black and the dark grey. It's made specifically for bumper and side trim plastic.
I spent over 2 weeks trying to source new 99-00 Coupe mud gaurds and found nothing. They truly are discontinued. I ended up just using a set of RSX rears.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I spent over 2 weeks trying to source new 99-00 Coupe mud gaurds and found nothing. They truly are discontinued. I ended up just using a set of RSX rears.
I ordered a set for my car a few months ago and they weren't discontinued. And I see them on eBay all the time.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen the ebay sets, and it's possible some are NOS from Honda, but I think most are aftermarket. Which, actually, I'm fine with as long as they're decent quality material and fit correctly.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've seen the ebay sets, and it's possible some are NOS from Honda, but I think most are aftermarket. Which, actually, I'm fine with as long as they're decent quality material and fit correctly.
Part# for the OEM mud guards are in my build thread. I'd copy and paste, but I'm on my phone at work right now.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Part# for the OEM mud guards are in my build thread. I'd copy and paste, but I'm on my phone at work right now.
Thanks! I do that quite often myself (research the part number of a part I want, then search Ebay for it. Did that recently with my Brembo rotors and Centric rebuilt calipers).