!994 Civic EX with stripped oil plug

stickdog

I am mechanically disabled, as in every time I try to service my own car, I end up breaking something else.

I brought my on its last legs 1994 Civic EX to a "Quality" Tune Up place, and they stripped the oil plug.

When I brought it back for its scheduled oil change, they would not touch it and told me I needed to get it retapped by a real mechanic.

Calling around to 6 different places in San Francisco, I have not found one willing to even try to perform a retap for me.

One place told me I could bring them in a new oil pan and they would install it for me.

I found a Dorman OE oil pan for about $75 online. If I go that route, do I need to buy a separate gasket? Do I need to buy any other bolts or gaskets?

Any suggestions? I just need to keep this car on the road for another 10 or 15 thousand miles. This is incredibly frustrating for me, since I know if I had any mechanical skill whatsoever this would be the simplest of fixes, but if I bring it to the dealer, it will cost about $375 just to replace the oil pan & change the oil.

Thanks!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The mechanic ability on this is like a 1 on a scale of 1-10. Drain the oil, unbolt the old pan, stick the gasket in the channel of the new pan, bolt the new one in, and refill the oil. Should take less than a half hour.

To answer your question, depending on where you get the Dorman pan, you will more than likely have to get a new gasket as most of them don't come with a new one.

stickdog

Thanks for the reply.

It looks to me as if I would have to remove the header and/or exhaust pipe A in order to remove all the oil pan bolts.

And that's where I run into trouble ...

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes you do,but a its just nuts and bolts and you can save yourself some money that way too..plus the knowledge

stickdog

Is this the basic procedure?

1- unbolt headers.
2- remove flywheel cover
3- drain oil
4- replace gasket add sealant
5 rebolt oilpan, flywheel cover, then headers

If so, where can I find some instructions for steps 1 & 2? Because I don't know what a header or a flywheel cover are.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a service manual....or just take it in to a mechanic.

If you search on google, you might be able to find a manual in pdf form...

emerican

Registered VIP
things like this is why i do all my own work on my cars
besides the fact that it saves me a ton of money i dont trust anybody else to work on my stuff
if you take your car to a shop do your research on it talk to some people that have been there or at least try to check them out before you trust them with your vehicle and pay them to much money probably.