a/c belt anyone changed one?

da2005pizimp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey all I need to put an a/c belt on my car so i can try and figure out why my a/c isn't running when i bought the car it didn't have one on there and i called tires plus and they want 90 for a belt to be put on. They also want 30 something per pound of freon. So i figure i will try to do this myself. Anyone put a belt on before? do i have to take the alternator one off to get to it? any help is VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I know i have asked a million questions already and i'm sure i will ask a million more but I am very greatful of all the help you all have given thus far.

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
da2005pizimp said:
Hey all I need to put an a/c belt on my car so i can try and figure out why my a/c isn't running when i bought the car it didn't have one on there and i called tires plus and they want 90 for a belt to be put on. They also want 30 something per pound of freon. So i figure i will try to do this myself. Anyone put a belt on before? do i have to take the alternator one off to get to it? any help is VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I know i have asked a million questions already and i'm sure i will ask a million more but I am very greatful of all the help you all have given thus far.
it's very easy. just head to your local autoparts store and pick up a haynes or helms manual for your car if you don't think you can do it. but basically you just took out your power steering and loosen the ac pulley to slide the belt off. but pick up the manual and it has step by step procedures.

civic98mi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took mine in and had it done. It's easy to get the power steering belt off, and it's easy to get to the AC belt, but it wraps around a motor mount, so you have to either remove the lower motor mount, or cut it off. It was in the middle of winter, so I had a mechanic do it. It's do-able, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I waited almost 3 hours for a certified mechanic to get the whole job done. 90 seems a bit high, they only charged me 30 or something I think.

And BTW, the haynes manual tells you nothing, just basically how to remove the power steering, and how to remove the AC belt, what they don't tell you is how to get it out of there once you have it off the pulley....let alone how to get a new one in there around that mount that's in the way.

da2005pizimp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I do have a Haynes manual but i dont' see anything about the a/c belt. can someone tell me what page or section it's in?

So_Fresh

5+ Year Member
What you need to do is, first remove the power steering pump. Depending on what engine you have, you'll have 3 screws to take out if you are standing directly in front of the engine (upper left side below cam gear) and I think 2 more on the actual bracket.

Then you need to remove the AC compressor, if you remove the hoses on the top of the compressor you will lose most, if not all of your free-on. If you do don't worry you can just buy R 134a refrigerant, which is essentially what the shops use and refill your entire or recharge your entire A/C system.

The best way to do this is just take out the four screws that hold the A/C compressor to the mount bracket, they are four long screws directing in front of the engine and below the power steering pump. This will ensure that you have some play when removing the A/C belt, because if you dont remove this it will be a b***h to get the new belt on.

Then you either want to cut the existing belt on there, or wedge it off, or you can just loosen the pulley or tensioner. Look for a Honda Service Manual, there are pdf's on the web and they are completely FREE. I'm at work right now, so I have no access to pictures. It gives you step by step on how to remove the parts and replace.

epikcong

The best way to do this is just take out the four screws that hold the A/C compressor to the mount bracket said:
So would you have to support the motor in any way to get the ac belt off? i tried taking off the ac belt today on my 2000 civic hatch and it was stuck liker you said on the rod sopprt for ac. so would i ahve to also take the (4) bolts and also the (1)bolt behind tire to removal the belt? i need help. im so lost..

RonJ

Banned
1) Loosen the power steering (PS) pump adjuster bolts and slip the belt off the pump pulley.

2) Put the front end of the car on stands and remove the splash guard.

3) Remove the two large 14-mm bolts securing the driver's side torque mount to the frame. This must be done so that the PS and A/C belts can be removed and installed. Remove the PS belt by slipping it through the small gap between the torque mount and frame.

3) Loosen the center nut on the A/C idler puller and then loosen the A/C belt by turning the top adjuster bolt for the idler pulley downward. You don't have an A/C belt to remove, but the idler pulley still must be adjusted downward to allow the new A/C belt to be easily installed over the pulleys. Slip the new A/C belt through the gap between the torque mount and frame and install it on the pulleys. Adjust the belt tension by adjusting the idler pulley upward. Then tighten the idler pulley center nut to secure the idler pulley.

4) Reinstall the PS belt, and tension it. Reinstall the torque mount bolts and the splash guard.

Done.