A/C Compressor Issue

xTLRxPrototype

1999 Honda Civic EX

Alright so my A/C Compressor started acting up recently, whenever I turn on the car, it makes a screeching noise for maybe 15 seconds and then just vanishes. The mechanic and I thought it was the water pump, but when he got a closer look, he found out it was the A/C Compressor. I could double check because when I turn the A/C full blast, the noise changes, and when I turn the A/C off, it will go back to another noise, the same 2 noises. It's about to be winter and i dont really NEED the A/C, so is it possible to just remove the ac compressor as a whole and i can take it back to get a new one (which is $800 at the pepboys next to me, gotta check other places) in the spring/summer time when I want it again. I dont really use the A/C anyway, I just open the sun roof and the windows anyway. Could I just take the belt off so it stops spinning/working whatever? So basic question is, is it safe to remove the ac compressor? Thanks in advance.

Also what were to happen over time if I didnt change this and just left it in there, what kind of damage could occur.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's illegal to evacuate the refrigerant into the air so at the very least you would need someone to drain it.

Just do an AC delete if you don't need it.

Sounds like a slipping belt to me.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a slipping belt to me.
The belt may just need to be replaced. You may consider just replacing the belt first and seeing if it corrects the issue. If it doesnt, at least you already have the belt.
And dont dare pay $800 at PepBoys for a compressor. You can order the OEM Honda (Sanden) compressor online for less than $500.

woopah

You could just cut the belt off and worry about it later. Leaving the compressor in place isn't going to hurt anything. If the belt is all
Cracked and worn that's probably your problem. If you reach down and turn the pulley and clutch by hand, (without the belt on) feel grinding or hear the noise then there you go. And stick with OE on this.

Shanec

I would definitely get 2nd opinion , when it comes to ac work everyone quick to replace things instead of. "Fix things". It may be an easy fix and compressor is fine. Good luck, I have ac troubles now too ...

Hondaman4ever

It happened to me months back. The noise would come on when I'd first start the car and gradually would go away after 30-40 seconds. Then it got worse. Mechanic said it was the AC pump bearings. Didn't bother with it and then one cold day I started the car and the noise was horrible and then there was smoke (from the belt as the pump had apparently completely seized) and it snapped. That was the end of it. So no AC now but then I live in a cold place :( I thought about getting another compressor ($100 from the junk yard) but we barely got more than a few days of heat and now it's back to crappy cloudy weather.

Don't waste your money on a new compressor.