A/C noise, bad bearing?

Ducati Scotty

My 97 CX has about 205,000 miles. I had the A/C installed at 80,000 so it's got about 125,000 on it. Lately I hear the roaring of a bad bearing every time I turn on the A/C. When it's off, no noise. It's louder at low engine speeds but always there.

I'm guessing it's either the tensioner pulley or A/C clutch bearning. How can I tell which it is? Could it be something else? If it's the A/C clutch bearing is there a tutorial about how to replace it without removing the compressor? BTW, the clutch seems fine, no noise other than the bearing growl.

Thanks,
Scott

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine is doing the same thing. Do you notice your A/C blowing weaker on some days (particularly hotter days)? If so, as in my case, it's either the a/c compressor clutch, or a pulley bearing (as you stated). I can't find tutorials on replacing it, but people say it's only three bolts to remove the clutch, and the compressor does not need to be removed from the car.

Ducati Scotty

Mine works fine, even on hot days, just makes a whole lot of noise.

I've seen the same references to it being a straightforward process and possible with the compressor in place, but I've also seen the factory manual page posted with both a puller to remove the pulley wheel and a special press tool to put it back on. I don't have a power steering pump to move but it hardly seems like I'll be able to get those tools in the few inches between the compressor and fender.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

No, that sounds more high pitched, like a noisy alternator running. Mine is more of a low pitched roar, like a bad wheel bearing if you know what that sounds like.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

I used a stethoscope to listen to the idler pulley and the compressor. I'm pretty sure it's the compressor.

There's no way there's enough room to fit a puller or press down in there but it looks pretty easy to dismount the compressor and work on it without needing to drain the refrigerant. I may just take it to my mechanic and have him deal with it, more trouble tha I care to deal with right now.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

I took off the belt and the tensioner pulley. The compressor spins freely. It feels a bit loose and the air gap looks bigger than it should but the bearing feels ok. The tensioner pulley bearing is definitely bad. It's mild but it will bind a bit if you spin it fast. I'll replace that since it's easier and I need to anyway. Maybe I won't need to do the compressor. We'll see.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

I got the clutch kit and borrowed a couple of tools from AutoZone. I replaced the pulley/bearing and clutch. My snap ring pliers didn't reach deep enough to get the coil out so I left the original. It works fine now and the noise is gone.

Scott