A/C Recharge 88 civic

irbryanxp

5+ Year Member
I want to recharge the A/C in my 88 civic. I have one can of R12 but thats definitely not enough. I don't really want to retrofit it for R134a since i heard it will eventually damage the compressor. SHould i look for some more cans of r12 on ebay? How much of it would I need?

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know it's been almost a month since this post, but I think you answered your own question man.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
R-134a retrofit will not damage the compressor if the retrofit was done right...

to retro fit you need to take the compressor out and drain all the oil out of the compressor.. then you need to switch the oil to an R-134a type of oil... wether it be PAG or Ester

if you retrofit and you dont change the oil... you will damage the compressor.

you can try and find more cans of R-12.. but you also need to find a way to get it into the car. they dont sell the R-12 hoses at the parts stores anymore. R-12 is more used in commercial A/Cs and refrigerators these days. every car sold now has R-134a and recharge equipment is far cheaper for that than it is for R-12

just remember you can retrofit but... you need to be able to pull the old compressor off and drain all the oil out. you CANNOT mix that oil with new.

terd_civic

5+ Year Member
They sell R12 low side hose at Autozone. They also sell conversion kits with the fittings to convert to R134a, which would allow you to pull a vacuum and check the high and low side pressures. If you do switch, make sure to replace the drier and expansion valve. You should possibly flush all the line if possible.