ac clutch kit removal

raym007

5+ Year Member
help! my ac is pretty new but my ac clutch just went bad. I didnt want to buy a whole new compressor so i just bought the clutch kit. Im trying to remove the parts from my civic ex 2000 but, cant seem to get the ac clutch pulley off. Ive gotten the retaining nut, the ac clutch and also the snap ring, but i cant seem to get the ac clutch pulley off. help.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lmfao @ ac clutch....i rly hope u dnt mean air conditioning clutch

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you'll probably need to use a pulley puller to get it off

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
he means the compressor clutch and I dont see what is so funny about that either call honda and they will tell you the part number and all

raym007

5+ Year Member
dyce590 whats so funny about the question i posted? You probably have no idea what that is...lmfao

raym007

5+ Year Member
I figured it out...if anyone in the future need to ever change out the clutch from the compressor cuz some do come with clutches, I know the process (this is for a honda civic ex 2000). First off, the reason why im doing this is bc i didnt want to change out a perfectly good compressor when the only problem is the ac clutch pulley bearings. The price for a brand new compressor is around $325 and for a AC clutch kit, its only $80! Also, if I had bought a new compressor, I would have had to evacuate and recharge my AC system, which would have cost me a lot more. So the tools I rented from Autozone:
1) AC clutch Holder - this allows you to take of the retaining nut that hold the AC clutch. This part took me a while since I didnt have an impact gun. What you wanna do is take all 4 bolts that hold the compressor in place and let it hang off the two hoses. The reason for this is so you can get enough space.
2) AC clutch puller - this tool allows you to take off the AC clutch pulley, which is the part that the belt sits on that freely spins.
3) snap ring plyers - I bought this from autozone. Once you take off the AC clutch, theres a snap ring that holds the AC clutch pulley. Once you take off the snap ring, use the AC clutch puller to pull off the AC clutch pulley. After the AC clutch pulley is off there will be one more snap ring which holds the coil assebly. Take that off and install the new one. For me I had to use the two old snap rings that I took off the compressor, since the ac clutch kit that i bought that came with snap rings did not fit.

Hopefully this can help someone out for future issues...
If anyone needs further assistance on this i can help.

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I figured it out...if anyone in the future need to ever change out the clutch from the compressor cuz some do come with clutches, I know the process (this is for a honda civic ex 2000). First off, the reason why im doing this is bc i didnt want to change out a perfectly good compressor when the only problem is the ac clutch pulley bearings. The price for a brand new compressor is around $325 and for a AC clutch kit, its only $80! Also, if I had bought a new compressor, I would have had to evacuate and recharge my AC system, which would have cost me a lot more. So the tools I rented from Autozone:
1) AC clutch Holder - this allows you to take of the retaining nut that hold the AC clutch. This part took me a while since I didnt have an impact gun. What you wanna do is take all 4 bolts that hold the compressor in place and let it hang off the two hoses. The reason for this is so you can get enough space.
2) AC clutch puller - this tool allows you to take off the AC clutch pulley, which is the part that the belt sits on that freely spins.
3) snap ring plyers - I bought this from autozone. Once you take off the AC clutch, theres a snap ring that holds the AC clutch pulley. Once you take off the snap ring, use the AC clutch puller to pull off the AC clutch pulley. After the AC clutch pulley is off there will be one more snap ring which holds the coil assebly. Take that off and install the new one. For me I had to use the two old snap rings that I took off the compressor, since the ac clutch kit that i bought that came with snap rings did not fit.

Hopefully this can help someone out for future issues...
If anyone needs further assistance on this i can help.

what did it sound like?

just a bearing noise or did it almost fall off?

rdajkg

5+ Year Member
Mine fell off

Mine actually fell off a few days ago while I was doing 60 down the interstate. There was a buff, then a rattle, then I felt it bounce off the bottom of the car about five times before exiting the rear. Now I have to decide if I can just replace the clutch or if I need the entire compressor.