AC Compressor noise

SSJimmy

5+ Year Member
I have a 98 civic 5spd and my compressor has been making some new noises im thinking its going on and off in about a 15 second cycle. I was in an accident a year ago and replaced the condenser and the dryer before have it vacuumed and refilled. Its been working fine for 6 months and then its started with the cycle I had the level checked and it has enough r134 in it.

So not sure what the problems is I hope its not the compressor and something easy does anyone have any ideas. Also cold air still comes out of the vents if that helps.

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
can you specify the noise? where is it coming from? if its a screechy, scratchy noise, its probly your compressor clutch. if so maybe the clearance is off of its just rusted

SSJimmy

5+ Year Member
its more like a whine its like your hearing a load but on the compressor and then it goes away and then comes back every 15 seconds. and its coming from the engine bay driver side where the compressor.

RonJ

Banned
Does the condenser fan run when the compressor clutch engages?

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'm having the same problem in my ek hatch.

but mine sounds like my compressor clutch is shot,

SSJimmy

5+ Year Member
the fan is always on

I noticed today that if I hear the noise and then shift to N or down shift it stops and then comes back once i put it in gear that is while driving/

when im just at idle i dont really hear the whine noise more of a tick but it still comes and goes. I also switched around the relays since i saw that as a possible fix and there was no change.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine was doing something similar and it would be loud for a few seconds and then stop. Turned out to be the clutch. I replaced the entire thing actually from a junkyard compressor for $20 and fixed it. I think the noise could be the clutch slipping every now and then?

maybe? just my 2c

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a bad compressor clutch. It's possible to replace it without removing the compressor if you don't mind working in tight space.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

SSJimmy

5+ Year Member
k thanks ill look for a good used compressor is there any tutorials on how to remove the compressor?

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its pretty self explanitory. Theres 2 bolts holding the hoses on the compressor, and 4 long ones bolting the compressor on. Loosen the adjustment pulley bolt kinda behind the power steering (this is to relieve the tension on the belt) and then vice versa.

Technically you should legally evacuate the system but I just did it myself too, and then you should also replace the dryer, however I did not and it still all works fine.