AC Pressure Switch Wiring Problem

DelSoul

I have a 93 civic del sol with an ac that is currently not working. I just had the system evacuated and charged. After trying to get it to run, and not succeeding, the repair shop jumped the pressure switch wires and got the ac running.

I've checked the pressure switch and it has continuity, but the wires leading to the switch are all messed up. I need to know what wires come out of the harness and if there is anything other than the two relays connected. I'm trying to clean up someone else's mess.

RonJ

Banned
Focus on showing us messed up wires leading to the switch. It's not evident in your picture than any wires are messed up.

DelSoul

I thought the butt connectors and the wire sticking straight up in the air weren't normal factory wiring. I guess I was wrong.

RonJ

Banned
Sarcasm works for me.

It's altered but I can't tell from the picture whether it's messed up. If you want help fixing something, you'll need to give more detailed information.

R12 or R134a system?

The stock pressure switch for the 92 Civic plugs into the condenser and has a Yel/Wht wire and a Blu/Red wire. How are the modified wires and connectors spliced into the stock wires?

Attachments

DelSoul

Sorry about the sarcasm. I'm just annoyed at myself for getting a car that I have to do so much work on. My previous civic was in great shape. Oh well...

R134A.

The yellow/white and blue/red aren't modified. The butt connectors seem to come out of the main wiring harness and connect in several places to the condenser fan wiring.

I found that with the key on the yellow/white wire is showing 5v, and the blue/red is showing nothing. I think blue/red is suppose to be 15v.

Hope the new picture help. If not let me know where I need to take pictures next.

Thanks for your help.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112137702016079667266/albums/5911054819182898033/5911054834773483314?pid=5911054834773483314&oid=112137702016079667266

RonJ

Banned
Did the repair shop install those butt connectors?

Where on the condenser fan do the wires run to?

If you disconnect the butt connectors, does it affect anything?

Did you make your voltage measurements with the pressure switch unplugged?

DelSoul

No They just did the evac and recharge.

There is just one added wire and it connected just before the connector to the condenser fan.

It looks like the butt connections connect the regular wires that run the condenser fan, and the extra wire tapped in before the condenser fan connector. I unplugged the extra wire, and there was no change. I don't want to undo the butt connectors unless I know how to redo the wires correctly. At least they are on solid.

I measured with the pressure switch unplugged.

RonJ

Banned
If you're interested in getting your A/C system working as intended by Honda, then yank out those butt connectors and added wires.

DelSoul

OK. I wish I had a picture of how the condenser fan is wired. There might be a plug on the main wire harness that I could get the right wire with connectors on either end.

DelSoul

Ok I got an AC wire harness and installed it. I found a troubleshooting flow chart for civic AC and step one unplugged the pressure switch, then with the key on test the yellow wire (the other was blue/red) to see if I got 5v. Nothing registered at all. So the flow chart led me to check the ecm connector 28. I am fairly new to trying to deal with this. I found the ecm on the right side of the passenger area, but I don't know how to get the plug out. Any help?

DelSoul

Ac doesn't run at all. I do get the ac light on when the button is pushed and I turn on the fan, but the compressor doesn't come on. Since I'm not getting the 5v reading from the yellow/white wire, I went to the next step on my flow chart, which is to check connector 28 on the ecm wire plug in.

RonJ

Banned
The Yel/Wht wire in the pressure switch connector get voltage from two separate places - the condenser fan relay and the ECU. Have you checked the Blu/Red wire that runs between the pressure switch and ECU pin B5 for an open?