AC Recharge

vegasnoob

I live in Vegas & it's hot as heck in the summer. So I bought Arctic Freeze to recharge my AC.
I followed the steps thoroughly & completed the process, but I feel like I might have over charged.
The compressor (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) keeps making that "clicking" sound way more than usual.
When I check the pressure its where it's supposed to be (green zone) , but once that "click" engages, the pressure goes past the red line on the gauge, but then goes back to where it's supposed to be (green zone) shortly after.

Did I over charge? If so, how do I fix this problem? Should I not use my AC if it is over charged?
Any help is appreciated, thanks

vegasnoob

When I'm in neutral with the AC on, the rpm jumps from like 800 to 200 & so on, if that helps

RonJ

Banned
You need an R134a manifold gauge set to measure pressures on both the high and low sides. Your cheap refrigerant can only measures pressure on the low side and isn't very accurate.

Why did you add refrigerant in the first place? Was the system completely empty of refrigerant? Much more background information is needed.

vegasnoob

Actually it wasn't Arctic Freeze. It was Sub Zero R134a. It has a gauge on it.. I measured the pressure before I added it (like the instructions say) & checked the pressure after adding the R134a. I stopped adding it once the pressure was at its point (like the directions say) but now my car makes that "clicking" sound over & over, way more than usual

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AC systems are finicky and require a lot of thorough care to keep them operating optimally. As Ron said, we need a ton of other info. First:
Year of car (model isn't particularly important)?
Was the system just not blowing cold air, leading to your recharging the R134a?
Do you hear a noticeable, loud whining sound with the AC on (outside the car)?
There are a ton of variables here.

vegasnoob

Sorry, I should have thought about including all of that first.
1997 Honda Civic LX. It was blowing kinda cool, but this 112 degree weather just over powers it.
I don't hear a loud whining sound. The only abnormal sound is that the "clicking" happens way more than usual now.

RonJ

Banned
It has a gauge on it.. I measured the pressure before I added it (like the instructions say) & checked the pressure after adding the R134a.
You need to give lots more details. Otherwise, all responses will just be guesses.

What do the instructions on the can say? Was the engine running and A/C on when you did the measurement and added refrigerant? What did the gauge read before and after? How much refrigerant did you add? How many cans? What is the weight of refrigerant in a full can?

If your A/C system leaked out all or most of the refrigerant, then there was surely air in the system. In this case, the system must be evacuated and then a can of refrigerant containing a leak detecting dye should be added to locate the leak.

vegasnoob

The instructions told me to set the V on the gauge to outside the temperature (which was 85+ degrees). Then it told me to check the pressure first (said that if the pressure exceeded the red line, then not to add it. But i didn't exceed that line.) Unfortunately I don't remember what the pressure was when I checked it, but it wasn't past that red line that's for sure.) Not sure how much I added, but I don't think I used the whole can. (I stopped once the pressure was in the green zone, the directions said to stop adding the R134a once you get to this point)

When I check the pressure now (after adding the R134a) the gauge says that it's in that green zone still, but when the compressor makes that "clicking" sound, the gauge goes into the red zone but falls back down into green when the clicking sound stops. The clicking sound only lasts a second or two, but comes in spurts. So one second you won't hear a click, but then the next you'll hear like 2 or 3 clicks straight (this is when the rpm's bounce around & go from 800 to 200), then it'll go back to normal when the clicking isn't happening.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take it to a shop you won't have the correct tools to work on it and a little can gauge isn't going to tell you anything. It probably has a leak as mine is 13 years old and still works great and has never been touched.