AC won't perform well during daytime

hi octane

Hey guys.

I'm practically at my wits end, and very frustrated at the moment. I've spent nearly $250 in the past 2 months or so but the issue remains.

My AC was performing like a champ during peak summer months, daytime hours. Until I got the evap coil replaced that is. Instead of getting the one Honda recommends, which is anywhere between $260 and $320, I got a cheap Chinese/Korean knock off. Got it for $60. I asked the AC tech if it would make a difference in the cooling performance. He said the only difference is the shelf life.

Well, the same day, I immediately noticed, the cooling wasn't the same during the day. The air feels cool, but not cold or chilly. And during daytime hours, God forbid if I have to leave it out in the sun for an hour or two, the cabin barely gets cool even after driving around for 15 mins at an average speed of between 60 and 80 km/h. The cabin doesn't exactly feel very warm or hot either, after a while, but not cold like it used to. Cool air comes out of the vents, but not cold enough to cool down the seats or my clothes, for example. Feels like 25 Deg C air coming out the vents during daytime, and around 15 Deg C or lower at night.

Anyway, took it back to him. That jack*** is telling me it's fine, and there's nothing wrong with it. I've taken it to three different AC shops, including a 3s dealer, and keep getting mixed opinions. One of them asked me to replace the expansion valve and receiver dryer. So I went right ahead and bit the bullet. Cooling performance seemed to improve only slightly during the eve hours and night, but not daytime. Another one told me to replace the compressor and condensor, which makes no sense to me at all. More on that in a bit. Finally, two of the AC shops recommended installing a better quality evap coil, something that is closer to Honda standards and specs. They recommended getting a Thai manufactured one that's available for $120, since I'm not interested in getting the genuine Honda one. They said the tubes and fins in those are installed in such a way so as to cool down the cabin faster and suck humidity and heat quickly. And that it performs practically as good as a genuine part should. I'm not planning on getting the Honda one available at 3s or 2s dealerships, since it's out of my range.

Now here's what I've gotten done on the AC ever since the evap coil replacement job:

* Full system evacuation and flushing.
* Refrigerant recharged and compressor oil refilled.
* High and Low pressures check out OK. No leaks.
* Condensor's good. Compressors good too, cycling on/off as it should. And pumping out cold air (L pressure line is fairly cold to the touch, but I noticed the H pressure line doesn't feel that hot. Feels like something between warm and hot)
* Electrical system, wiring, connections and relays all check out OK
* Expansion Valve and Receiver Dryer replaced
* No leaks detected

Since the coil replacement job, like I said, I've had her checked out at three different AC shops, and they say everything is functioning as they'd expect, but then they start giving me mixed opinions on why cooling performance isn't on par during the day.

Guys, I am at my wits end. I really love this car, and it's the only good car I've got! Please tell me it's the evap coil, and that a better quality one will fix the issue? Applying my knowledge and common sense, that's the only conclusion I can come up with.

Please post your thoughts and suggestions soon. Thanks!

RonJ

Banned
Why did you replace the evaporator in the first place?

Does the condenser fan run when the A/C is on? If so, the next step is to performance test the system so that you can pinpoint the problem:

Attachments

hi octane

The original one developed a leak somewhere in early 2011, that was welded and repaired. Leak found again about 2 months ago in evap coil, bigger this time. So I was told it has to be replaced.

Yes, both the condensor and radiator fans run when the AC switch is turned on.

As I said, all tests with pressure gauges have been done. Honda measured the center vent temp - it was 45 Deg F, and they said that's just about right. However, this was done in a large garage, where there's plenty of cool shade. When it's out in the sun, or whenever the weather's over 30 Deg C and humidity's really high, the AC feels as if it just doesn't want to make the cabin cold. Just cool air.

All the components in my car AC are fine, as the H and L pressure readings are optimal. Honda and the other AC shops have conducted those tests, probably not using the chart that you attached with your message, but they say all is OK.

I never should have installed a cheap evap. coil to begin with. Can you please comment on that? How different standards of evap. coils affect cooling performance.

RonJ

Banned
As I said, all tests with pressure gauges have been done. Honda measured the center vent temp - it was 45 Deg F, and they said that's just about right. However, this was done in a large garage, where there's plenty of cool shade. When it's out in the sun, or whenever the weather's over 30 Deg C and humidity's really high, the AC feels as if it just doesn't want to make the cabin cold. Just cool air.

All the components in my car AC are fine, as the H and L pressure readings are optimal. Honda and the other AC shops have conducted those tests, probably not using the chart that you attached with your message, but they say all is OK.
Your answers^ say that the H and L pressures are fine but no numbers are posted to verify.

The charts I posted come from the Honda Civic service manual. Under the test conditions specified (engine rpm, etc.), post the exact H and L pressures, as well as temperatures A and B. Otherwise, you are just left guessing what the problem may be. Do you really want people to post their guesses as opposed to informed information?

If you prefer random guessing over rigorous diagnostic tests, then you don't need a technical forum to help you with that.

hi octane

The low side pressure is just below 40 psi. And as the tech throttles up the engine, it goes to 20 psi or lower, then starts to come back to about 40 psi.

One thing I didn't mention - when the compressor turns on, I can hear a hissing sound coming from the vents, which either goes away in a few seconds, or stays around until the compressor cycles off again. Audible only when blower speed is around medium or lower. This hissing sound is more noticeable when the car's moving, but when I put my foot down on the clutch, goes away completely. Then comes back, when I lift my foot off the clutch.

I'll try and do the tests you recommended and get back to you.