1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Advantages of VTEC

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by ShadyLurker69, Oct 16, 2008.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. ShadyLurker69

ShadyLurker69 New Member 5+ Year Member

I'm doing a senior project on VTEC and would like to know what all of the advantages of having VTEC are.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
  2. ShadyLurker69

ShadyLurker69 New Member 5+ Year Member

I know it's pretty obvious what the advantages are but id like to know all i can

3. 98civikdx

98civikdx 98civik Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

4. bizoneoeh

bizoneoeh Ex-Gang Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I know I know..... vtec and vtec ain't s**t especially if you're boosted imo. Nothing but noise if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
  5. Billy.

Billy. Has returned ;-) Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

wha wha WHA?? :shock:

vtec loves boost. boost loves vtec. how do you think i made over 300hp on a measly 7 psi of boost. a stock LS wouldnt come close to that, no way no how

6. 98civikdx

98civikdx 98civik Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Not gonna lie, I love the VTEC in my unboosted B16. Now that I've gone VTEC, I ain't going back!

7. Billy.

Billy. Has returned ;-) Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

to answer the op:

the only advantage that vtec gives over a standard engine is the addition of a second power curve created by the hi-cam lobes. a typical engine begins to lose power at the top of its rpm range, but a vtec engine is given a 2nd power curve increasing its ability to make power at higher rpms

i love this dyno: :D

just when the first power curve beings to taper off vtec engages at 5400 rpm, almost instantaneously changing the intake and exhaust valve timing and duration which you can see by the sharp increase in power. the power band jumped from 115whp to 137whp in about 100 rpms

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  8. 12.8:1 Ls/vtec

12.8:1 Ls/vtec IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

that is a terrible tune, smooth is skill, that is kinda amateurish tuning. Wanting the most noise not making the most usable power.

9. Steven.

Steven. Formally Green 91 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

keep on topic guys

10. one6

one6 Shorts and Sandals FTW! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

There's only one real advantage to variable valve timing: increased fuel economy and decreased emissions under normal driving, and increased power during spirited driving. Oh, and the sound!

11. civhatch92

civhatch92 That's my honda. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

12. Kaotic_Zeus

Kaotic_Zeus Most hated man Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

only advantage is fuel economy really. It'd be better without it, and have just a aggresive cam profile throughout the whole rpm range. But some gay little b***h would complain about the noise and wasting too much gas when they're trying to pick up some groceries.

13. vandynamics

vandynamics New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

i beg to differ. mike (handlebars) made 300+ on a bone stock b18b stock map sensor, crome street tune.

14. DarkCreep

DarkCreep D16Y8+T Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

15. Billy.

its not a tune. its a base run of a nearly stock motor
    on .5 bar of boost?

16. Bheims

Bheims Bustin windows outcha car Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

17. vandynamics

vandynamics New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

stock map is good up to 9 psi