Advice on 98 Civic Hatchback selling?

MutzMum

My husband is the original owner of a 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback. No accidents. No problems with it. Been maintained regularly. 44mpg highway. Manual trans. About 160,000 miles on it.

He's retired. I wanted him to get a safer car so we just got a Subaru Forester.

So. I know this is a hot car among the younger set. We are in rural-ish Central VA. He's been approached by countless people, in parking lots, etc.

We need to get the best price possible for this, and while I'm a good negotiator, I don't have a good plan for putting this out there. Our demographic is sparsely populated.

So do any of you Civic dudes or dudettes have advice to give me? What price to ask? How to put it out there in a larger area than just ours? How to stay safe during the transaction?

Thanks much for any help you can give.
Mary

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Without seeing it, $2500-ish, I think is putting it on the high end.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It would be best to post pictures for a more accurate suggestion.

For comparative ideas, look up similar sale adds locally on Craigslist and Facebook as those have become the most common selling methods. Asking prices may vary a bit depending on your area. Only use Kelley Blue Book numbers as your low end value because in my experience they are generally way off and low on true market value for these Civics. FYI, you will likely get "kids" making absurd lowball offers so keep that in mind as its the unfortunate side of Civic ownership.

Clean it thoroughly and handle anything cheap to maintain on it so as to give potential buyers as little to complain about as possible. I personally prefer to meet potential buyers somewhere public and neutral for safety reasons and to reduce likelihood of a home theft.