ADVICE: To buy, or not to buy this 96 EX.

AREyouKIDDINme

I have the opportunity to purchase this Honda for 100 to $200. Seems sketchy right? Apparently the kid was driving into McDonald's and his CV axle and or ball joint or something I don't know about yet on the passenger side went out... (see picture)

The kid which is my neighbor just doesn't have the desire to meddle with it, and where we live cars can no longer be parked roadside; his dad needs the car gone. In lieu of having the tow yard come grab it, his dad wanted to haul it in for max $. That is when I approached him about open offers.

His son has already purchased a new truck and is "over the honda."

I bring this up because I actually have a 96 Honda HX sitting under a tarp right now. It runs and drives however window motors and front end damage Etc has prevented it from getting the registration.

I need an experienced eye to look at this ball joint or whatever the hell it is in the picture and tell me what's broken or how hard it is to fix and if it's worth buying the car even, also if I can just part swap from the HX to the EX.

I am new to the Honda world but I am adept in at home mechanics. I'm new to this site as well so thank you in advance. 20171202_133158.jpg

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Is the car still on all 4 wheels and can be pushed around? If so just needs an axle. If the ball joint broke the tire would be sideways stuffed into the wheelwell and the car would be almost sitting on the ground. Pic looks like just am axle. Jack it up remove the tire and inspect further, snap more pics too 1 is ok but makes it a tough call. Good luck

Sent from my boujea ass phone

AREyouKIDDINme

Other pics...View attachment 29647
I have the opportunity to purchase this Honda for 100 to $200. Seems sketchy right? Apparently the kid was driving into McDonald's and his CV axle and or ball joint or something I don't know about yet on the passenger side went out... (see picture)

The kid which is my neighbor just doesn't have the desire to meddle with it, and where we live cars can no longer be parked roadside; his dad needs the car gone. In lieu of having the tow yard come grab it, his dad wanted to haul it in for max $. That is when I approached him about open offers.

His son has already purchased a new truck and is "over the honda."

I bring this up because I actually have a 96 Honda HX sitting under a tarp right now. It runs and drives however window motors and front end damage Etc has prevented it from getting the registration.

I need an experienced eye to look at this ball joint or whatever the hell it is in the picture and tell me what's broken or how hard it is to fix and if it's worth buying the car even, also if I can just part swap from the HX to the EX.

I am new to the Honda world but I am adept in at home mechanics. I'm new to this site as well so thank you in advance.View attachment 29646
Is the car still on all 4 wheels and can be pushed around? If so just needs an axle. If the ball joint broke the tire would be sideways stuffed into the wheelwell and the car would be almost sitting on the ground. Pic looks like just am axle. Jack it up remove the tire and inspect further, snap more pics too 1 is ok but makes it a tough call. Good luck

here is a photo where you can see the tire. Yes it's on all fours.

What I really need to know is are these 6 generation Honda Motors worth hanging onto? And Are the ex & HX parts interchangeable.

I'm trying to put a car together to help my grandparents. The black HX they have drives and runs, either way 2 half cars should equal one... assuming these are decent cars worth spending my time on
20171202_133146.jpg

AREyouKIDDINme

And LOL at boujea ass phone

AREyouKIDDINme

$100 - $200? That's basically free. Buy it.

The stock HX comes with the fuel efficient D16Y5 VTEC engine, whereas the stock EX comes with the performance D16Y8 VTEC engine.

As mentioned, the inner CV axle of the EX broke. The end of the axle may have broken off inside the transmission differential. Thus, it is also possible the differential/transmission is damaged.

Does the 96 Civic EX have the manual or auto transmission? Coupe or sedan?

Does the 96 Civic HX have the auto CVT or the manual transmission? I assume the HX is a coupe.
The Black HX my grandfather has parked is manual 2 door, the Silver EX is also a coupe with a manual transmission.

So are many of the components of the engine different?!?!
And with them both being manual coupes shouldn't all the outside body parts be interchangeable?

AREyouKIDDINme

The engine heads and many emissions sensors are substantially different. The engine blocks are slightly different.

The transmissions and bodies should be almost identical.

If you need more detailed information, compare part numbers for the two Civics on the Majestic Honda website. Enter the VINs.

Buy the EX.
in your opinion are these 6th gen hondas good cars?

and the HX needs a new front bumper and window motors Etc... but if you could choose between the e x & H X which one would you rebuild

AREyouKIDDINme

the car is for my grandparents.....

i guess let me rephrase, knowing that the HX (170k) only needs replacing of the front bumper, as well as either swapping out new doors or gutting the window tracks and motors and would be street ready..... vs the EX which so far we know has just the axle broken.
As far as how it runs, im about to go start up the engine and hear the motor. Assuming the EX is only needs a replacement of the CV Axle, im trying to calculate which of the two options is more money and time efficient.

The car is only going to be driven a few times a week by my grandma to take my grandpa who recently surrendered his license due to vision.. i wonder if the cvaxle of the hx will fit in the ex

AREyouKIDDINme

im going to buy the car... ill pull the tire and get some more photos and maybe you guys can help me ascertain just how big of a repair the ex is looking at.. thanks

AREyouKIDDINme

Sixth generation Civics have excellent reliability. In this respect, they are outstanding economy cars.

Maybe you should ask your grandmother whether she would prefer amazing gas mileage (HX) or better engine performance (EX) in her Civic.
Lol, they would prefer not having to rely on anybody for rides to and from everywhere anymore. Performance verse gas mileage is not a factor in this particular case

AREyouKIDDINme

I threw a jack under the EX. The tire has about 2 inches of play vertically I tried to get a closer picture of the CV axle. 20171203_144517.jpg

AREyouKIDDINme

I'll take a lighted photo of The Grommet the CV axle broke out of. Just exactly what am I looking for as far as telling if something broke off inside of there?

AREyouKIDDINme

The CV axle remnant will easily pry out of the differential using a screwdriver or prybar. Good luck with the repairs.
thank you. I just got done watching a video looks like I need to go find a 32 mm socket and a couple other things but it shouldn't be too bad

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
A ball joint fork as a pry bar always works easy for removing the axle from the trans for me.