aem uego problem

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys
i installed a uego wideband today and had a problem. after completing the install the guage itself is very slow. seems to be slow on response. also, it is always on lean at idle when it is warmed up. engine is hot and good too. the gauge likes to sit on (--) on the lean side. the gauge moves when the throttle is in, but not much, maybe in the 17.1 range, then goes right back to full lean. i dont beleive i am running this lean! i tested the o2 sensor and its fine. did aem's o2 test.

i called a local shop and they recommended i install the o2 about 6" away from the head. super close.
where have you guys installed the o2. i had mine right under the middle of the car where the secondary o2 sensor sits.(on my test pipe after the resonator) should i put it near the flange on the headers where the headers meet 2-1? ( i have a 4-2-1 setup). if i place it there can i just move my primary o2 sensor to the location where the secondary would be? does this all make sense????

will the location effect the response and accuracy of the wide band????

thanks

Trekk

Registered VIP
Anything done to the car? I try to install the as close to the collecter as possible.

RonJ

Banned
Is there an exhaust leak in the header? Does the exhaust smell like the engine's running rich?

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is no leak, and from time to time it does smell like its running rich from the exhaust. not so much under the hood.

i take that back, my headers ares lightly smashed on the bottom but not cracked or cut in anyway. all gaskets and boltage is good

RonJ

Banned
there is no leak, and from time to time it does smell like its running rich from the exhaust. not so much under the hood.

i take that back, my headers ares lightly smashed on the bottom but not cracked or cut in anyway. all gaskets and boltage is good
If there's an exhaust leak that allows some outside air to enter the header, then the O2 sensor will falsely read lean and the engine will run rich.

The leak could be a bad gasket, a crack, or leaking at the O2 sensor bung.

This whole discussion assumes that you installed the O2 sensor and gauge properly. Do the sensor and gauge need to be calibrated?

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If there's an exhaust leak that allows some outside air to enter the header, then the O2 sensor will falsely read lean and the engine will run rich.

The leak could be a bad gasket, a crack, or leaking at the O2 sensor bung.

This whole discussion assumes that you installed the O2 sensor and gauge properly. Do the sensor and gauge need to be calibrated?

i really looked at the exhaust again, and no cracks or leaks.even at a rev. o2 an sensor installed correctly. it is an aem uego, so it should be callibrated already, unless i need to do it myself.... dont think so

manifold is just smashed, no signs of air coming out. same with flanges too. bung is good too!

so can i swap primary o2 to a secondary location and put the uego o2 in front?on the exhaust mani and the primary o2 on the test pipe?