Aftermarket oil pans OK?

Riick

My oil pan rusted through-- I plan to replace it with a cheap no name aftermarket pan from ebay. I don't care if it lasts but I do want it to fit right and not strip out at the plug. Anyone had any experience with these? Think it will do the job?

(Car is a problem-laden stock 93 DX Hatch D15B7)

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wouldn't trust them one bit. It's important for fitment to be precise, otherwise it'll leak oil in no time. Also don't want w/e material it's made out of to warp, otherwise it'll leak. Also need to make sure the gasket will work, otherwise it'll leak... Being probably a cheap metal, it may rust pretty quickly. I believe the OE pans are baffled. If the one off eBay isn't baffled, you may have oil starvation issues which could easily ruin your motor.

Try finding an OE replacement one from a local parts store or maybe pick one out from a junk yard and clean it up well.

Riick

Try finding an OE replacement one from a local parts store
Why is parts store OE replacement better than ebay OE replacement? Not doubting, just curious...
or maybe pick one out from a junk yard and clean it up well.
How do I know the junk yard one isn't also a cheap ebay pan-- is there a feature (like baffles) or brand mark I should be looking for?
or not auto zone(:
Are you saying avoid auto zone, o dark one?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How does an oil pan which is covered in oil rush through?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why is parts store OE replacement better than ebay OE replacement? Not doubting, just curious...

How do I know the junk yard one isn't also a cheap ebay pan-- is there a feature (like baffles) or brand mark I should be looking for?

Are you saying avoid auto zone, o dark one?
OE replacement parts generally follow the same designs as the OEM parts. In most cases, fitment is just fine and in this case, it should be properly baffled. One advantage from buying from a local parts store is that you can see the part up front and at least visually check that it is correct. Buying from eBay, you have no idea what you'll get... Some parts at parts stores offer some pretty good warranties as well. May even get a core charge for your old one.

I'd say it'd be pretty obvious if you see a Civic in a junk yard that isn't modified or w/e, the oil pan is very likely stock.. Oil pans are pretty rarely replaced. Best bet, take your current one off and take it with you to compare to the junk yard ones so you know you're getting an OEM one.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe the OE pans are baffled. If the one off eBay isn't baffled, you may have oil starvation issues which could easily ruin your motor.
I've never had to replace one so I could be wrong but I thought the OEM pans were not baffled. I know you can buy a Spoon oil pan which is an OEM part with baffles added.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IIRC from taking mine off a couple of times, there is a metal plate just over the drain hole. Not crazy baffled like an aftermarket one. Some other Hondas may not be baffled.

Riick

One advantage from buying from a local parts store is that you can see the part up front and at least visually check that it is correct. Buying from eBay, you have no idea what you'll get... Some parts at parts stores offer some pretty good warranties as well. May even get a core charge for your old one.
[...] Best bet, take your current one off and take it with you to compare to the junk yard ones so you know you're getting an OEM one.
I might have to take my chances with ordering a used one or maybe a more expensive Dorman aftermarket. I have no transportation (aside from bicycle) while this car is dead.