Aftermarket radio install, gauge lights don't work anymore

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After I installed my radio into my car, my gauge cluster lights (tach, speedo, odo, gas/fuel, etc) don't seem to work anymore. The normal error/warning lights work and the shifter lights work, it's just the back lights arent working. My dimmer switch should be fine because my climate control lights pop on when I turn my headlights on and if I adjust the switch, the dim. Also, my pot under the steering wheel that controls the backlight is turned all the way up so it should be working. I searched for days and barely found anything. I only found items for newer civics.

FrancoCivicLX

5+ Year Member
check your fuses might be blown or recheck the wires connected to the stereo, i've heard that the lights are connected to the stereo maybe some are crossed

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All external lights work. i made sure of it.

RonJ

Banned
Does voltage from the dimmer switch reach the cluster? If so, the cluster may be bad or the bulbs may be burned out.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know. Ill have to check that tomorrow.

SevenSeries

Same problem here mate. Its the wiring harness. How did you wire your stereo? Did you go out and buy an aftermarket harness or did you just cut the wires and made it work with what you had?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought the Metra Honda/Acura Radio Harness from advance. my radio might have a wire called illumination but i dont think it has anything to do with that.

SevenSeries

Ah yeah I have that setup. Uhm when the audio store install my stereo (idiots) they messed up some wires. however it was an easy fix. Gotta love having a dad who is a certified Honda technician (32 years now). Anyway If you can I would go in and check all the wires and where they lead.

cobb2819

biggest thing to check is to make sure any orange wire on the metra harness is isolated and not touching anything. cap it off, remove it from the harness, tape it up. sometimes those wires have a different function than the illumination on the Head Unit.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got everything to work now. There was a wire that I think I may have kicked and ripped but when I grounded it, everything worked again.