Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn Placement

lubuis

Respected
My quick release is having problems with the horn being on too tight and staying on. If I loosen the screws, the steering wheel has a lot of wobble. The fix I did was to drill a hole in the plastic part of the steering column behind the wheel. Is that a terrible place to put the horn? Is it illegal? Will I pass safety inspections? I know that it is illegal to have no horn, but is the placement illegal?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please post pictures of what you're talking about.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats definitely an awful location for a horn. I say you should figure out what wiring issue affects the horn. If not, buy a smaller horn button and install it on the steering wheel.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does your steering wheel have thee option to put the horn in the center of the wheel? post up a pic

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
It's a ebay one so I don't know the brand
usually the ebay brand have some sort of slight fitment issues most of the time

gonna need to figure out what to modify to get it to work. did you get a center ring with it just pain round ring with one small opening?

Last edited by a moderator:

lubuis

Respected
usually the ebay brand have some sort of slight fitment issues most of the time

gonna need to figure out what to modify to get it to work. did you get a center ring with it just pain round ring with one small opening?
I got a center ring with it but I think the black round cover you put over the horn is causing the problem. I didn't attatch the cover so the horn sticks out a little. I hope that was the problem that was pressing on the horn too tightly causing it to be pushed down a little. I haven't hooked up my horn yet, but I will try as soon as I get home.

Attachments

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I got a center ring with it but I think the black round cover you put over the horn is causing the problem. I didn't attatch the cover so the horn sticks out a little. I hope that was the problem that was pressing on the horn too tightly causing it to be pushed down a little. I haven't hooked up my horn yet, but I will try as soon as I get home.
ok well you need to use that ring to hold it in place.but if your having a problem with the horn not letting you tighten the ring all the way down and it causing your steering wheel to wobble, you might have to try and make the hole a bit bigger and use the black outer ring to hold the horn button and steering wheel in place. here is my i just put the horn between the steering wheel and the black outer ring. IMG_5587.JPG