Aiming Headlights

96Civic_Coupe

Panda Breeder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i need to aim my headlights a little lower and im not sure witch way to twist the screw driver. do i twist it towards the passeger side to make them aim down? or do i twist them towards the driver side?

C.F. Freak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Easiest way to find that out is find level ground at about dusk and park real close to a building with your lights on. Then mess with them and see which direction they go..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Headlight Aiming

The headlights were properly aimed when your car was new. You shoudl check the aim if you reguarly carry heavy items in the trunk. Each headlight assembly has horizontal and vertical adjustment indicators. These are set to their "0" positions after the headlights are aimed at the factory.

To check these settings:
1. Make sure the fuel tank is full. Park the car on level ground.

2. The driver or someone who weighs the same should be sitting in the driver's seat for all checks and adjustments. Load the trunk with the items you normally carry.

HORIZONTAL ANGLE GAUGE

3. Open the hood.

4. Check the horizontal angle gauge. The line on the adjustment screw indicator should line up with the "0" mark on the gauge.

VERTICAL ANGLE GAUGE

5. Check the vertical angle gauge. The bubble should be centered underneath the longest scribe mark on the gauge.

HORIZONTAL ADJUSTMENT

6. If either indicator is not aligned with its "0" mark as described, an adjustment can be made using a Phillips-head screwdriver to realign it with the "0" mark. Please refer to the illustrations.

VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT

7. If you cannot get an indicator to align, have your Honda dealer inspect your car for body damage or suspension problems.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
*Notife the L, R, D, and U in the images. ;)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would imagine it would at least be similar. Maybe you need to take closer photos for us in order for someone to give better help. :what:

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would just do what C.F. Freak and NOFX said to do. trial and error.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't see how anyone would be able to help any better unless we know what kind of headlights you have really.

96Civic_Coupe

Panda Breeder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'll just go play with. i just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure. thanks though

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah bro, its trial and error to find out which thing does what. Shouldnt take you long tho. just follow that the guys above me said.

JDMsta

CC's Assologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Turn the driver away from you brings it up..................Turn it towards you brings it down......trust me I did so much ajusting lately with these stupid Xenons..........

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JDMsta said:
Turn the driver away from you brings it up..................Turn it towards you brings it down......trust me I did so much ajusting lately with these stupid Xenons..........
Yeah, I already posted that. He says his are aftermarket though.

JDMsta

CC's Assologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Yeah, I already posted that. He says his are aftermarket though.
sowwy didnt see it, sorry to hear about the whip too :cry:

radarblips

WELCOME TO VUVLAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either one way or the other right? :lol: :lol: I saw a guy today in a minivan with the driver side light pointed up toward the trees, his heads were illuminating the leaves and branches above his van:rolf:

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know its an old thread but i dont care! thanks amy for the pictures....i was turning the wrong one all this time, then i searched and viola! the answer!

emperor9

5+ Year Member
i am unable to locate the vertical aiming bubble on my 99, am i blind or is there not one?

johno590

f**k thieves
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread is awesome! I've been meaning to re-adjust my headlights because they are pretty much useless..

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
kewl inputs...

shiekh

Where to get that manual

The manual with the pictures on how to adjust the headlight assemblies, where can one get it? Seems most useful.