AIr bag replacement 1997 Honda Civic EX coupe .

sphornets

Sorry. I am sure this is already posted somewhere but I really suck with the search feature on this site.
Got into a little accident yesterday and both front air bags deployed. I called a local junk yard and they had both of them for $200. For another $50 they had the air bag computer (?.) Can someone tell me the tips and tricks for replacing deployed airbags. I have the manual and it looks pretty straightforward. Do I need the air bag computer? Will the SRS light go off after replacement? Thanks in advance. 1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe manual transmission. Black Ext, grey interior.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't done one on a civic but past replacements after deployment on a couple different VW auction flips I did required replacing all of the blown airbags, the SRS control unit, and all of the sensors. 2 of the ones I did needed to have the control units coded to the car and were only able to be done at the dealership.

Yes the light will be on. You will need to have it rest after you are done and if there is still a fault in the system, you will need to remedy that fault before it will go out. IF the light stays on NOTHING in the SRS system will work while it is active.