Air bag set up

hitlayers

Hey guys, new to the site, unfortunately my daughter was in a hit and run, thank god she is ok, the curtain airbags and her seat air bag came out, good thing the steering wheel air bag did not come out, any way, to repair is more than the car is worth, I will not be replacing the air bags that came out, so my question is, what do I need to change, I know the seat belt, the srs control box, how do I know what sensors to change, can someone walk me though this process......Pretty sure this is on here and I apologize but need help fast! Thanks!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unless you replace the airbags that blew, your SRS will be inop. Removing or not replacing one piece will keep the whole system down.

To get the system back to the way it was, you need (at the least) new sensors, new air bags, seat belts (pretensioners) and the system will need rest by a scan tool that is capable of doing so. Some manufacturers are different, not 100% sure about Honda. I have always sent safety stuff like this to the professionals that handle this kind of thing on a daily basis.

hitlayers

So if the curtain/side seat air bags are not replaced, the other ones will never work? Those are not even standard on the car it's an option, also do you know how to find out what sensors went and were they are located? Thanks for your response

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Correct. If ANY part of the SRS system is removed, the rest is shut down until that component is replaced and recoded. Weather or not the base models come with them or not is moot, it is part of your model. The control unit will look for them.

There are ways to bypass certain things, with resistors but I don't condone nor recommend doing so. You risk running the wrong resistor and causing airbags to go off that you didn't want to.

As far as what sensors, Honda or a body shop should be able to tell through their scan tools. It should say what parts of the system activated and which ones need replaced/reset. Like I said though, I delegate to the guys at the body shops for this kind of stuff.

I am just going off of what I have experienced doing research to put a steering wheel from a way newer model into mine and finding that you can't eliminate or alter any part of the SRS without deactivating the rest of it. That and what I have found through work and dealing with parts and body shops.

hitlayers

Thanks again for your response, since this is very pricey and is worth more than the car, I've decided to disable the air bags and possibly sell them, would you or someone else know how to do this? Is it pretty straight forward?

hitlayers

Actually what part would I need to order for the seat belt? Is it true that once the air bags deploy the seat belt locks and there is no way to unlock it?