Alarm system help

akimm17

5+ Year Member
Ok so my old civic had one where if you pressed the lock button on the fob it would arm. Now I have a 96 civic ex 2 dr m/t. The panic function works and I have the red led light but it never blinks and locking the car does not arm an anti theft system. I have a decent knowledge of cars but anything electrical boggles me. How do I arm the alarm system or know if I even have one? My cars going to be parked for a while so I want to make sure it's secure

xWIREMANx

Sounds like it is in valet mode. If it is a DEI (Viper, Sidewinder, Clifford, Python etc.) product you can most likely open your door and hit lock unlock lock in a row and the led will shut off. Thus taking it out of valet and the next time you hit lock it should arm. If it is a different bran then try looking it up with google. You can usually find the manuals to them online and it will explain how to get it out of that mode.

akimm17

5+ Year Member
Should have clarified. I'm talking about the factory alarm and the red light is never on

xWIREMANx

Ok that clears it up some more. You can test for a factory alarm (which I'm sure most civics don't have) by locking it with the key fob. Or lock it with the switch on the door while it is open then close it. To all before they say you can't lock civic's or honda's with the door open. Yes you can. All you have to do is hold the inside door handle out like you are opening the door and press the lock button. Once the vehicle is locked let it sit for sit for one min. then manually unlock the door from the inside (do not use the switch) and open the door. If the horn honks then you have a basic factory security. If it doesn't then it is just a keyless entry. If it honks then use your key fob to disarm or use your key in the driver's door to unlock for disarm. Hope that helps =)

akimm17

5+ Year Member
Well it sounds like I just have a keyless entry system but then why do I have a panic function?

xWIREMANx

Guess that depends on what you are wanting to secure. The stuff inside or the whole car and where you are leaving it. Your place or out in a public area. If it is at your house then take the battery out of it and pull all the main fuses for it. Take out anything that people look to steal that is visible. If you have an aftermarket radio with detachable face then take off the face or slide the radio out and put it in your house. If you are leaving it in a public place then pull the main fuses and take them with you or hide them in the car somewhere and take the face of the radio. Fuses will keep someone from quickly jacking the whole car as they would have to troubleshoot what the hell is going on when they try to hot wire it. That would probably make them move on. Radio's are not worth a penny without the face since replacement faces are the same price as the radio. I don't know what else to tell ya.