1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

alternator belt

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by tkangaroo11305, May 29, 2008.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. tkangaroo11305

tkangaroo11305 New Member 5+ Year Member

i know this is such a beginner question
    i need to replace my alt belt but where is the alternator belt tensioner located at in my '96 civic
    pics will help thx.

2. Solid_Snake

Solid_Snake Te mato con mi VTEC Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

You need to remove the power steering and a/c belt in order to get to the alternator one...

step 1, remove splash shield:
    [​IMG]
    step 2 remove power steering belt: keep in mind you DO NOT need to completely remove the pump from the bracket.
    [​IMG]
    step 3, remove a/c belt
    [​IMG]
    and finally the alternator belt
    [​IMG]

3. tkangaroo11305

hey thanks a bunch i'll definitely try it during the weekend,
    thx for pics too

4. Solid_Snake

Np =)

5. tkangaroo11305

oh btw i don't have power steering
    does the step still apply or is there a better and quicker way to get to the alt belt?

6. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i think its just that one bolt thats on the alt bracket. its bronze. loosen. pull tight and tighten that bolt back on?

7. Solid_Snake

yes, just skip step 2 and skip step 3 if you do not have a/c.

8. Solid_Snake

if you dont loosen the bottom bolt (mounting bolt) the alternator will not move.

9. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

ahh okie dokie.

10. t_mac

t_mac New Member 5+ Year Member

Hi I'm trying to replace the alternator belt on my car too. I've decided since I'm down there I'm going to replace all 3 belts anyways I got the P/S belt off no problem now I'm working at getting the A/C belt off. My question is do I need to completely free up the P/S pump to access the pulley breakhead(?) for the A/C I thought maybe I could access the puley olt for the A/C from the top but it's very hard to access. Do I need to take the splashguard off and reach up to loosen the pulley bolt on the A/C?? I don't really like the idea of taking off the splash guard because I already losened it and it doesnt seem like its going to back on there nicely... maybe I'll have to buy new hardware what do you think?

11. Solid_Snake

I think you have to remove the splash guard anyway in order to get to the lower alternator bolt too.

12. t_mac

no I already got the alternator out...

13. Szady

Szady D-Series Master Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

You dont HAVE to remove the lower splash guard. It just makes the job easier. You dont have to take the p/s pump completely off to get to the a/c pulley bolt, but it helps ALOT. Its not that hard to take the P/S pump off, its just a pain b/c of the header and A/C compressor being in the way. Also, if your replacing the A/C belt, you will have to unbolt and remove the a/c compressor and the torque mount off the engine to get the new belt on. Not hard, just takes time. Just be sure to support the A/C compressor so you dont bend the lines since they will still be attached.

14. t_mac

thx man i think thats what i needed to hear

but ****

15. sdanville

sdanville New Member

Alternator Belt Removal 1996 Honda Civic DX with Air Conditioning

Surfing the web and looking at YOUTUBE , I found little on this subject.
    This was the best source..Thank you.

I swapped out the Alternator belt last night. It was noisy, it was cracked, and stretched out.

For $17.99 at Advanced auto I am good to go another 170,000 miles.

I would like to say I did not have to remove any covers. Just two bolts takes the Power Steering pump out of the way. I have big hands and it was tight.

Then had to jack up the car and loosen the Alternator lower bolt from there. I also put the belt around the pully from underneath. Not as bad a job as I had thought. Bet the Shop would charge a hundred bucks
    because the power steering and compressor belts have to be moved.

---------------------------------------------------------------

16. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

I'm glad you searched and found this :thumbs up.

Now If only more people could follow in your foot steps instead of posting a new thread and asking how to do things :lol:.