Alternator issue

_shakademos_

the other night when I was working on my car I hit the altanotor and caused an arch now there's no power to my car I checked all the fuses and the main fuse and the battery's good
I put a power probe on a random piece of metal in the car that shouldn't have power and it reads 12.6 volts
Idk what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotorMo

Respected
Disconnect the battery and replace your alternator- - It sounds like your alternator "shorted" out. If you have a Digital Multi-meter, you can remove the "hot" alternator lead, and use the"ohm" tester to check for continuity between the stud where the positive wire bolts to on the alternator, and its casing to confirm it shorted.

_shakademos_

^With key in OFF or ON(II)?

Minimally, the car has an electrical ground problem. Start by cleaning and tightening both ends of the G1 battery ground connections.
It was off and I opened up the ecu and it looks fried

_shakademos_

Even with a fried ECU, body ground should have no measurable voltage, so you do have a bad ground.

In addition, the fact that the key was off during the voltage test suggests a short to ground from the hood fuse box likely caused by you shorting the alternator.
So u think I should find the ground for the alternator and replace them and the alternator

_shakademos_

No. The alternator grounds locally on the engine.

1) The bad ground is likely the G1 battery and/or G3 transmission ground.

2) In addition, the hood fuse box may have a short to ground, which bleeds battery voltage to the car chassis with the key off.
1 Wow ok the grounds gonna be a b***h to find the previous owner tucked the wires

2 how do u think I could fix that u think I should go pull a new one at the junk yard

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What was the issue? Definitely a bad ground?

_shakademos_

Lol idk I got a mechanic he fixed some thing nah the ecu was not changed but now it's got oil spitting out the dip stick

Last edited by a moderator:

_shakademos_

I think it looks fried

Yea I looked a little closer an it look like it's coming from the wall

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There was a bad wire at the pcm
Please describe what you mean by that.
Lol idk I got a mechanic he fixed some thing nah the ecu was not changed but now it's got oil spitting out the dip stick
You should always know what amechsnic performed on your car. For all you kbow all he did was reset code and charged you for it. Clearly that ECU is damaged and should be replaced.

Also, please stop back-to-back comments and utilize the edit option instead.

Ek_Coupe`

the other night when I was working on my car I hit the altanotor and caused an arch now there's no power to my car I checked all the fuses and the main fuse and the battery's good
I put a power probe on a random piece of metal in the car that shouldn't have power and it reads 12.6 volts
Idk what to do.

Pull the alternator and get it tested at a parts store like AutoZone, advanced auto ect.