Alternator not charging battery

Roelekhatch

I've been trying to figure out why my alternator is not charging my battery. Ie tried three different alternators that got tested and they all were tested good. Here's the things I've checked:

1. I've check the alt and vss fuse under the dash which is fuse 15
2. I've check the white wiring going into the under the hood and it had no resistant which means its good I'm guessing.
3. The alternator is getting the battery voltage. Which is 12.4-12.6 when te car is off.
4. When te car is on voltage goes 12.2 and gets lower and lower.
5. I also checked the ELD and it was fine.
6. Sanded all my grounds
7. When I disconnect the postive terminal at the battery while the car is running. It does instantly.

It's been such a long week trying to figure this thing out. Im starting to think its the alternator plug(green one with 4 wires). im pretty sure the blk and yellow wire is suppose to have voltage when the car is on(II) but its not. and fuse 15 is not blown. I'm open on trying to get this fixed if any clubcivic member could help would be very appreciated. Thanks

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have u tested the battery?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How are the chassis grounds?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Something is pulling way too hard and draining your battery.

Any subs or amps or caps or anything crazy like that?

Roelekhatch

Something is pulling way too hard and draining your battery.

Any subs or amps or caps or anything crazy like that?
Nothing. Not even headlights. My battery isn't draining. The only time it drains is when the car is running (because its running on the battery instead of the alternator.) I need to find out where that blk/yellow wire goes too. I heard the wire powers the alternator and makes the battery get charge. I know it goes to fuse 15 but it's not blown. I might end up taking my intake manifold off and hunt down where the blk/yellow wire goes too before fuse 15. It is suppose to be reading a voltage and it isn't. Unless someone tells me why it isn't getting any voltage other than the reason "blown fuse"

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Interesting. As Mmery suggested, sounds like you've got a stray current that's sapping the battery constantly. Do you have an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry, or has there ever been one in the car? Any kind of aftermarket electrical components at all? CD player etc.?

Roelekhatch

Interesting. As Mmery suggested, sounds like you've got a stray current that's sapping the battery constantly. Do you have an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry, or has there ever been one in the car? Any kind of aftermarket electrical components at all? CD player etc.?
Nothing electrical aftermarket parts in the car. This thing is giving me a headache! Lol

RonJ

Banned
Has the alternator been bench tested?

Do you have a stock 96-00 Civic?

When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II), does the charging system warning light turn on and stay on?

Have you voltage tested installed 7.5A dash fuse 15? Click the fuses link in my signature.

Roelekhatch

Has the alternator been bench tested?

Do you have a stock 96-00 Civic?

When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II), does the charging system warning light turn on and stay on?

Have you voltage tested installed 7.5A dash fuse 15? Click the fuses link in my signature.
1. Yes all three of them were.
2. No has a b18c-r in it
3. No it does not come on
4. Yes there's not voltage. I checked the resistant on the fuse to make sure it was a good fuse and it is.
And I will look at those links when I get home. I'm on my phone a the moment. It looks pretty handy. Thanks!

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a similar problem. I ended up running a ground from the battery to a ground post on the alt. No problems since!

RonJ

Banned
3. No it does not come on

And I will look at those links when I get home. I'm on my phone a the moment. It looks pretty handy. Thanks!
Yep, the warning light should come on, so either the bulb is burned out or it too does not get voltage. Now you need to check whether fuse 15 gets battery voltage on both top test tabs when the key is in ON(II).

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Had the same problem. Alt bench tested fine, even though it wasn't. I replaced it and I was good to go

Roelekhatch

Found the problem guys. The blk/yel wire isn't getting power from fuse 15. So I stuck a paper clip on the fuse holes and wired a wire from there to the green alternator plug and started the car. It was reading 13.8v. Now to do it correctly i need help finding where fuse 15's wire is and which plug is it in.