1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

alternator not charging

Discussion in '7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)' started by Dpstanton, Dec 23, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Dpstanton

Dpstanton New Member

i have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe - alternator is not charging. I've replaced the alternator with a new one and checked the fuses under hood. any recommendations?

2. vjf915

vjf915 New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

What do you mean the alternator is not charging? Let's go through a check list.

Does your car start?
    If so, start your car and keep it running. Disconnect the positive lead to the battery (you will not get shocked, just don't touch the negative lead), and let the car continue to run. If after several minutes the car is still running, the alternator should be fine. If the car dies, then the alternator is bad.

Define in detail what exactly is going on with your car.

3. TigBitties

TigBitties Frame Bangin Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

^dont do this. battery if a buffer in your electrical system. this could cause much worse problems

4. young_

young_ out on bail Staff Member Registered VIP

Your alternator charges the battery, but if you're certain that your battery is fine then simply go to a local parts store such as AutoZone, Advanced, O'reily's, etc, and have them check the alternator. Most do it for free.

5. robbinbadams

robbinbadams New Member

Alternator does not charge

I have an 05 civic. I just replaced the alternator and it does not charge. The battery is at 12V while the engine is running I checked the Volts at the post on the alternator and it is 12V. Any ideas why both old and new alternator don't charge but pass test at auto parts store?

6. gugiey

gugiey New Member Registered VIP