Alternator swap: '96 Civic - '88 Accord

johnny l. patterson

I was needing to know if an alternator from an '88 Accord wld be able to fit on my '96 Honda Civic; Im about to purchase a used alternator for that purpose and wanted to be sure before i make that purchase....thx fir any insights presented!

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I doubt they are interchangeable since Accords have F series engines and civic's have D series (or B if Si). Not a final answer but my first guess is no.

johnny l. patterson

I doubt they are interchangeable since Accords have F series engines and civic's have D series (or B if Si). Not a final answer but my first guess is no.
Ok man..thx alot!..guess ima have too buy it new..u have been very helpful last cpl days..appreciate & respect the info n knowledge

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Ok man..thx alot!..guess ima have too buy it new..u have been very helpful last cpl days..appreciate & respect the info n knowledge
You could try doing a little more research if you wanted before discarding the idea, but alternators aren't usually interchangeable from the little I know.
No problem man I'm just here to help people as much as I can (not saying I know everything lol I'm not even a mechanic and I'm still in college studying).

johnny l. patterson

You could try doing a little more research if you wanted before discarding the idea, but alternators aren't usually interchangeable from the little I know.
No problem man I'm just here to help people as much as I can (not saying I know everything lol I'm not even a mechanic and I'm still in college studying).
ok n best of luck wit school..im not a mechanic either and am currently pursuing my associates n Business Admin.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
ok n best of luck wit school..im not a mechanic either and am currently pursuing my associates n Business Admin.
Nice nice that's what my brother studied actually. I'm doing a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a B.A. in Physics. I still got a while to go since it's a 5 year degree. Good luck to you too man.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going new is very expensive and aftermarket distributors arent worth it in my opinion becauss they only last a few years. You could also buy a used JDM distributor on eBay. I did about 3 years ago from an eBay seller that only sources from JDM cars and its still fine. It was pulled off a Civic with around 30k miles on it and you could tell because it looked barely used.

Do make sure to order the distributor according to your trim level & engine as they can vary.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also shortened your title so its easier to see on the side panel.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
nope accord F series are not interchangeable with any d series or b series. also they have 5ribbed pulley and d series and b series uses way thinner pulley