Another speedometer issue

NC_ej6

I've already looked through threads and can't really get a clear answer to my problem. I have a 1996 civic coupe. About a year ago the plastic cover on my cluster broke and a friend decided to mess with the speedo. Shortly after it stopped working or worked intermittently. I have been through 3 clusters now and nothings changed. Even got a new motor in the car so it's not the vss. No codes are showing. Only thing I could think is wiring? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Sorry if it's a repetitive question.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The VSS is not on the engine, its on the transmission in the top rear of the case directly below the throttle body. (VTEC models, non VTEC models its below and to the left). Basically look at the fuel filter and then down at the transmission, you will see the VSS bolted (straight up and down position) into the transmission case.

The VSS is located near the axle.

NC_ej6

The VSS is not on the engine, its on the transmission in the top rear of the case directly below the throttle body. (VTEC models, non VTEC models its below and to the left). Basically look at the fuel filter and then down at the transmission, you will see the VSS bolted (straight up and down position) into the transmission case.

The VSS is located near the axle.
I know this. But I swapped in a GSR from a D16. So it's a completely different motor/transmission. I thought for awhile that the teeth in the trans were worn out but after getting the new swap the speedo still won't work. All other gauges work besides the speedometer and odometer.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's to say the swapped motor has a functional vss? I'd buy a nice multi-meter and check your electrical

NC_ej6

What's to say the swapped motor has a functional vss? I'd buy a nice multi-meter and check your electrical
Thats true. How would I go about checking the electrical for it? Take out the cluster and check at the clips? With the car running?