Anyone ever change a starter?

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
According to my auto bible (Haynes Manual) my starter motor is worn out, which would explain the RC-like sounds my car is making. So... Anyone ever actually change one of these things? The manual only goes as far as telling you to undo bolts and stuff and not really telling me where it is or anything about the best way to go about doing it.

I did try searching before you flame me, and I couldn't find what I was looking for. So... Advise? Tips? Tricks? I'll prolly do a How-To once I'm sure of what I'm supposed to do to that starter.

And lastly... Would it be worth it to pay $40 for a second-hand starter, or just cough up the $90-110 for a new one?

Peace and Llove
Eric

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought a used starter....$20 at a junkyard and it has been strong for 4 or 5 months now. As far as getting it off...I dont know what you want to know. It's just unplug the battery, unplug the cables connected to the starter, remove the 2 bolts holding it to the tranny, and then do the opposite with the new starter. As far as the actual location, its on the passenger side of the car down on the tranny.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bought a junkyard starter like 3 years ago, and im still using it to this day...

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
schweet. Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna see about getting this done tomorrow. I'll take some pics along the way and write it up so nobody else will have my problem, lol.

Peace and Llove
Eric

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I've got some conflicting information... According to my manual, there are 3 different companies that made starters for Honda. The salvage yard I called to get my starter from said they only had the Nippon in stock, not the Hitachi that's currently on my engine. I searched and searched but couldn't find an answer... So, if I get the Nippon, will it bolt on? Or do I have to find another Hitachi? The salvage guy seemed to think I needed another of the same... but a starter is a starter, right? As long as it came out of a D?

Peace and Llove
Eric

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As long as you get a manual starter for an MT, automatic starter for an AT the type doesn't matter.

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im having troubles with this as well, is there any pics that would help?

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought a brand new one from napa auto parts install was easy only took about five minutes no lie. Simple install you will be surprized. Of course if you have a b series engine I can't say the same for a d series. I haven't worked on a d series.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont_Tri said:
I bought a brand new one from napa auto parts install was easy only took about five minutes no lie. Simple install you will be surprized. Of course if you have a b series engine I can't say the same for a d series. I haven't worked on a d series.

:werd: dont buy that refurbed s**t. Buy new or used if money is tight. So easy to change but please undo the battery termanials before doing it.

shawn96

5+ Year Member
I bought a used starter a year ago and haven't had trouble yet. Trust me its very easy to change the starter. Take off your intake for more room, disconnect battery. You'll need a 10mm, 12mm or 14mm and i think thats about it. So it should be 2 bolts, 1 nut and unplug a wire and thats it. Your done.

clarkandrew45

I bought a used car starters a year ago and haven't had trouble yet. Trust me its very easy to change the starter. Take off your intake for more room, disconnect battery. You'll need a 10mm, 12mm or 14mm and i think thats about it. So it should be 2 bolts, 1 nut and unplug a wire and thats it. Your done.
I am having trouble changing my starter. I bought a used one last month and have no idea how to start the changing procedure. Can you help me with this?i mean can you provide some easy steps for me?

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am having trouble changing my starter. I bought a used one last month and have no idea how to start the changing procedure. Can you help me with this?i mean can you provide some easy steps for me?
Ok its really not bad at all. The starter is on the top of the transmission on the passenger side. First take your intake tube off. Then pull the female wire connector off the starter. Then remove the nut on the power wire of the starter and take that off and wrap it with electrical tape so it dont ground out on any exposed metal. Take a good look how its mounted. Then remove the 2 bolts holding the starter to the tranny. You may have to turn it several directions to remove it from the car but it will come out. Get your new starter and place it in the tranny and bolt it back up. Remove the electrical tape off the positive wire to the starter and bolt it back on. plug the female connector into the starter and then finally replace your intake. BAM Your DONE.:lol: