Assembling a GC Koni setup - some questions answered

yevangelis

eg ek ek
First, Ground Control makes/made two different coil sleeves/ coil overs. One to specifically fit Koni yellows and a bigger universal one to fit stock, kyb, tokico, etc... Some have reported receiving the larger sleeves with their yellows directly from GC and they include adapters and spacers.
If your sleeves did'nt come with spacers and adapters then read on.

Heres the bottom with a GC adapter (black ring), notice how everything is flush with the little yellow ring.

notice the notch/ groove the the little yellow ring will sit IN to keep it from getting squished out.

This is looking from the top, theres that big space that the black rubbery spacer fills.

Here's the rubbery spacer/sleeve, this guy has both the spacer and Orings, I don't think you need both.

some say theirs came with Orings like so;

As long as the sleeve doesn't wobble around you can use whatever you want

GC sells Koni specific sleeves but they are expensive as you may imagine.

this spacer alone will not work! You need something to retain that yellow clip!

Well the Konis come with their own set of adapters for stock shocks and such, you can use these two fellas to retain the yellow ring, then a bigger ring on top for your sleeve to sit on.

like so, but you still need something for the sleeve to sit on (theres that space again)

like this, my retainer is painted pink, then I used 2 hole saws to cut that sleeve perch out of a piece of aluminum, this should theoretically fit inside of the sleeve but it doesn't matter.

the Konis also come with these two spring perches which I modified to be my circlip retainers

Heres the cut out from the spring perch working as my retainer, then I have a custom adapter on top of that supporting my sleeve. I painted them pink, the green is masking tape to snug up the sleeves.

In conclusion, I only saved about 100$ not buying the setup from a retailer, and I had to make and modify it to make it work. I say, wait for a sale and buy the 'kit'.

CitySushi

Canitakeordarprease
I pieced my koni/gc kit together last year for $755 shipped to my door. If you really wanted to save money by ghetto rigging, you could have purchased ebay coilovers for $50 or go a step further and buy Qa1 springs in the spring rate of your choice for $38 a piece. Regardless, that looks dangerous.

yevangelis

eg ek ek
I pieced my koni/gc kit together last year for $755 shipped to my door.
How'd you do that?

If you really wanted to save money by ghetto rigging, you could have purchased ebay coilovers for $50 or go a step further and buy Qa1 springs in the spring rate of your choice for $38 a piece. Regardless, that looks dangerous.
Na, I think my Eibachs are safer than ebay springs :shock:
I used Koni supplied circlip retainers so if they fail they are responsible for warrantying them.