auto to manual keep or sell?

ej6society

So i am new to this, i just wanted to see your guys opinion. i have a 98 civic ex, it has low mileage, i know these engines arent very powerfull as it is a d series but its an auto which makes it worse, my tranny was been starting to slip and i had plans of converting it to manual once it went out. do you think i should just sell it or convert it?

Genyc07

What's your skill level can you do it yourself do you have the tools? Are you happy with your car any other problems? If everything is green light then make the swap. Yes to all of those questions then I would sell and buy what u want

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I converted my car from auto to manual back in 2009 or so. I had very little knowledge at the time, though the person who was helping me knew quite a bit.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The worst part was putting the pedals in. Cost me less than $600 total and we did it in a weekend. I was very happy with the outcome. The only way you can tell that it was an auto previously was because you could start it without pushing the clutch in (no clutch safety switch), and the cluster was automatic so the P was always illuminated.

ej6society

well it only has 157k miles and everything works good, i really like the car as this is my first civic and i always wanted one, the only thing is that i feel like my tranny is starting to slip and as for the skill level, i dont know much but my cousin offered to do it for free and he knows what he is doing i plan on learning atleast something from there.

also where can i find good parts for cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Genyc07

I would check craigslist for a part out. There is always something availible I wouldn't spend more than 150$ for everything. The parts will be untested used so the risk is on your side and while the seller may seam honest he could disappear so buy cheap parts from rear ended car.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep, check Craigslist. Use searchtempest.com and search for parts all over. If you find someone too far away just offer to pay shipping -- I've done this a handful of times and usually the seller will agree.

Also, eBay, CC and other automotive forums, etc., should have parts. I wouldn't spend the money buying brand new parts for the most part, except for fluids, etc.

If you wait a few weeks, I can probably pull the pedals out of my Civic and send them your way for cheap. Just not sure when this would be though...

Genyc07

Most importantly don't settle. When choosing a donor try to find one the was taken care of.if the interior was trashed and its raced out stay away. U want a responsible previous owners parts. Nothing is garanteed when u are buying used but trust your judgement today their may be one available next month you might have 12 to choose from. DONT SETTLE!

ej6society

Okay thanks for the suggestions you guys were honestly really helpful, I'll take them into consideration, and please let me know if you do take the pedal assembly out.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yup will do!

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So i am new to this, i just wanted to see your guys opinion. i have a 98 civic ex, it has low mileage, i know these engines arent very powerfull as it is a d series but its an auto which makes it worse, my tranny was been starting to slip and i had plans of converting it to manual once it went out. do you think i should just sell it or convert it?
I would sell it and buy a car that is manual. :thumbup:

ej6society

also, i have another question, would any of you happen to know how much the cost of a full k20 swap would cost?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Full swap? Probably a couple grand if you look for parts and piece one together. I'm not a salesperson for the world, so it's hard to really judge that. Check CL, ebay, etc.

HMotors has a full K20A for 5 g's... it's a Type R though.

EDIT: And also a K20A longblock for a grand, but you'll need to piece together the rest.

Last edited:

ej6society

:suprise:thanks man, its just that a k20 swap is something i have wanted to do for a while, i might just actually save up the money and do the swap instead of converting it to stick, i know its ALOT more money but i know it will be worth it, i have someone that will help me do all the labor for free so i know that will help me out.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:suprise:thanks man, its just that a k20 swap is something i have wanted to do for a while, i might just actually save up the money and do the swap instead of converting it to stick, i know its ALOT more money but i know it will be worth it, i have someone that will help me do all the labor for free so i know that will help me out.
k swap or no swap; if the car you intended on doing this swap to is auto at the moment you must also convert to manual.

break down
1.) auto to manual conversion
2.) engine swap

ej6society

yeah thats one of the things holding me back, because i feel if i convert it to manual right now and i decide to do the swap later or i would have wasted the money i used to convert it to manual when i coulda used it on the swap. and if i do the swap ill post pictures

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You will have to do the conversion anyway, so it won't be a waste of money. I did the auto to manual conversion on my civic and it was worth it, but I got a hookup on all the parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ej6society

but its different transmissions though, thats what i mean, why buy a d series tranny when i could jus save that money for when i throw in the k swap

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will have to do the conversion anywa
Yup. that's what i said. Swap or no swap ( K series or whatever "performance" swap it is that you want to do); if you want a manual transmission you must convert from automatic. Meaning: you will need to install Manual transmission, the clutch pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder plus anything else need to convert to manual. I'm looking for a Civic at the moment and it must be Manual because I'm Not doing Any conversions.

Break down
1.) convert automatic car to manual right now
2.) convert automatic car to manual when doing the engine swap.