auto Y8 harness in a manual LX help

96cxgsr

5+ Year Member
I recently put a SOHC ZC VTEC in my 96 LX. no particular reason why, just the Y7 started knocking, i wanted to put a VTEC motor in and this was the first one on the list. i had the harness converted to a VTEC harness, but the guy didnt wire in a pressure switch because he chipped a P28 for me and took the pressure switch out of the tune. however im positive VTEC isnt engaging, maybe i just cant hear it but i wanted to try putting a Y8 harness in just to see if it changes anything. that and i dont like having cut and spliced wires showing. the only harness i can find for a reasonable price is out of an auto. i know ill have to change to a 2 wire IACV, but is any other rewiring required. ive looked all over for this answer but all i can find are people converting their auto car to manual. my car is already a manual, i just need to know if an auto harness will work without having to rewire half of it. thank you

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
An auto harness WILL work, yes. You'll have extra plugs for the auto transmissions solenoids, and ECU plugs. You'll have to rewire the IACV to a 2 wire IACV like stated. Everything else should be identical. Also, you won't hear Vtec engage on a SOHC that's close to stock.

An easier solution, would be to wire a Vtec light up. Search for a write up..been done many times. Simply run a light to the Vtec solenoid wire on the back of the ECU, ground the light. Done.