auto Y8 harness in manual LX civic help

96cxgsr

5+ Year Member
Ok lets see if i get any answers here. I recently put a SOHC ZC VTEC*in my 96 LX. no particular reason why, just the Y7 started knocking, i wanted to put a VTEC motor in and this was the first one on the list. i had the harness converted to a VTEC harness, but the guy didnt wire in a pressure switch because he chipped a P28 for me and took the pressure switch out of the tune. however im positive VTEC isnt engaging, maybe i just cant hear it but i wanted to try putting a Y8 harness in just to see if it changes anything. that and i dont like having cut and spliced wires showing. the only harness i can find for a reasonable price is out of an auto. i know ill have to change to a 2 wire IACV, but is any other rewiring required. ive looked all over for this answer but all i can find are people converting their auto car to manual. my car is already a manual, i just need to know if an auto harness will work without having to rewire half of it. thank you

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So it's been a while since i've done a non vtec to vtec swap but if your ZC has a vtec oil pressure switch then you need to hook that up so it will engage... Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but the only time you need to take the VPS out of the P28 equation is when you're doing a swap that doesn't come with one (motor doesn't have switch). I'm probably wrong.. But I would run the wires off your switch and connect them to the pins at the ECU they should be going to. That's how I did mine last summer anyway.

Sorry if this isn't the help you need. With out a diagram in front of me, I couldn't tell you anything about your auto harness question.

96cxgsr

5+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure its supposed to have a pressure switch, at least the P28 will look for one. Like I said though the guy who chipped it programmed it to not require a switch in order for VTEC to engage. I know D-series VTEC is very quiet but I figured I'd be able to here it a little bit. I just wanted to try a Y8 harness and remove the chip from the P28 to see if it makes a difference but I don't know if the harness will need a lot of work

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wire up a Vtec light. On a SOHC, you almost will never hear Vtec engage. I rarely heard it on my y8 mini-me. Only way I knew it was engaging, is because of my light. It's simple, and will take you literally 20 minutes to wire up.