Autocross setup for my 92 Si HB

Crave

5+ Year Member
Hi,

I will be autocrossing my 92 Civic Si HB next year, and want to start planning out the setup for it. This is what I already have installed:
Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks
Eibach Springs
AEM Cold Air intake
DC Sport Ceramic Header
DC Sports front upper strut bar
NoName rear upper strut bar
17" Wheels and tires
Stock exhaust from cat back
D16Z engine
Stock Si tranny
Polyurethane bushings all around

This is what I'm thinking of doing:
Replace the 17" W&T's with 15"
Install rear lower tie bar
Install front h-brace
Reinstall stock exhaust manifold.
Polyurethane engine mount stiffeners

It's no secret the 15" wheels are better then 17" for autocrossing. The lower tie bars are to stiffen the chassis. My reasoning for reinstalling the stock exhaust manifold is to gain some low-end torque since the autocross courses are pretty tight, and usually get run in 2nd gear.

What do you guys think? Should I do anything else? This is not my daily driver, but will have to remain street legal. What would you recommend for tires?

Thanks.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Falken Azenis

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A new car... because most tracks don't allow cars w/ sunroofs.

Crave

5+ Year Member
Falken Azenis - I'll look into these, thanks.
Bigger sway bars - by which manufacturer? WIll Integra bars fit?
A new car... because most tracks don't allow cars w/ sunroofs - When I say AutoCross, I mean Solo I, so sunroofs are allowed.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't exactly agree that the 15"s are better than the 17"s....

When you downgrade the size of your rims, you'll be more than likely downgrading their width... which means you can't get as wide of a tire... which means you'll have less contact between rubber and the ground... which means you'll have less traction.

I'd probably go with a lightweight 17" rim.... or if you're really that self conscious.. go lightweight 16".. but I wouldnt go all the way down to 15"

Crave

5+ Year Member
I don't exactly agree that the 15"s are better than the 17"s

The reason that 15's are better is because they are lighter. In AutoCross, or Solo I racing, you rarely get past second gear so the car is not moving so fast that you would require the extra contact patch to help you take a corner faster. Also, all else being equal, 15" wheels are cheaper then 17", so the money saved on wheels can be used to buy a better quality tire.

peter

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For autocross and track days wheels are almost always:
smaller>bigger

look at F1, they don't use super huge wheels

deaconwagers

...now rockin an integra
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd upgrade only the rear swaybar, makes it easier to steer on a tight course.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id get 16s,the sidewalls on the tires will be stiffer.also get falken azenis Rt215 or hankook ventus Rs2 Z212

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a basic short ram intake might be better than the cai for autocross, better throttle response..

Bouncer

5+ Year Member
tire choice also depends on the weather conditions, im pretty sure its wet in canada a lot so you might wanna go for some nitto neogens, ive had some really good experiences with these.

Crave

5+ Year Member
What manufacturer of sway bars would you recommend?

Canada isn't really wet, maybe compared to AZ it is, but not overall, specially in the summer months.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
I don't exactly agree that the 15"s are better than the 17"s....

When you downgrade the size of your rims, you'll be more than likely downgrading their width... which means you can't get as wide of a tire... which means you'll have less contact between rubber and the ground... which means you'll have less traction.

I'd probably go with a lightweight 17" rim.... or if you're really that self conscious.. go lightweight 16".. but I wouldnt go all the way down to 15"
Not exactly...I have a 205mm wide tire on my 15's and I ran the same width tire on my 17's. For a 5th gen hatch you'll definately want a 15in wheel with a 205/50 tire or maybe 215/50. You can also swap an ITR rear swaybar straight over for excellent corner response. CLICK THIS TEXT

Crave

5+ Year Member
So if I understand correctly, use of the ITR reat sway bar requires the use of ITR lower control arms?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Crave said:
So if I understand correctly, use of the ITR reat sway bar requires the use of ITR lower control arms?
If you are able to go look under your car right now...just look at the lower control arms and there may or may not be some holes in the LCA's for the endlinks. If there are holes, then you won't need integra lca's and you can use your stocks.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What class do you plan to run? You have many mods, for auto-x

and Inigo Montoya, not true, I run w/my sunroof, I've never heard that, maybe its regional.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hooked_on4 said:
What class do you plan to run? You have many mods, for auto-x
It's the last one of the season, (but my first auto-x), not sure yet what class...I'm just going with a couple of buddies for fun and to test my driving skills. Should be a good time.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gabebauman said:
It's the last one of the season, (but my first auto-x), not sure yet what class...I'm just going with a couple of buddies for fun and to test my driving skills. Should be a good time.

always a good time =)

but I was asking CrAVE but thanks anyways, I wish i could run again :(