Automatic Transmission Filter for a 2005 Civic LX

Elizabeth M.

I am a new civic owner and am simply in need of some guidance. I am experiencing no transmission problems, but I am going to be changing my trans oil soon and when I mentioned it to a friend he asked if I was planing on changing the filter to. I had honestly not thought about it. I have poked around searching for a trans filter for my car but all of them look so very very different. Different sizes and shapes yet they all say they are for my make and model of car. I am confused by this can anyone point me to the filter I need. Also is it even necessary to change the filter?
Thank you in advance for any replies.
-Lizzy M.-

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Call or go into the dealer. They will get you the correct one for you exact transmission and with it being just a filter and gasket it won't break the bank.

Yes you should change the filter. It is why it is there. They filter out the bad stuff, if you let them sit, like any other filter they will just clog up after time causing problems.

Elizabeth M.

There are no Honda dealers even remotely near me but I have phoned one and they were not very helpful or informative they couldn't be bothered to even point me in the right direction. I was hoping for something a little more then the general pasted comment of " Take it to the dealer." I will search else where for now.:|

dancam

Registered VIP
To the best of my knowledge they have no filter and that is half the reason why they fail so often. They have no pan to take off to get at a filter. The listings you see are most likely either false or for aftermarket inline filters. I would highly recommend an inline aftermarket filter!!! Especially since you have no problems yet! That is very unusual for these civics. How many km on it? It is possible that the transmission was already replaced with a new or rebuilt one. In which case its an especially good idea to get a filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
There are no Honda dealers even remotely near me but I have phoned one and they were not very helpful or informative they couldn't be bothered to even point me in the right direction. I was hoping for something a little more then the general pasted comment of " Take it to the dealer." I will search else where for now.:|
He did say call them... That is quite often the easiest way to get a part number or picture for what your looking for so you can go elsewhere with proper info. They arent usually very helpful on the phone because so many people do this. If you go in person you have a much better chance of getting helped but previous replier wasnt aware you live far away from a dealer...
The filters do need to be changed because the clutch packs wear and plug up the filter. If it doesnt get changed that starves the trans for oil eventually.

molsoncanadian

2001-2005 auto civics dont got no filter.

Just a drain and fill x3 is all you need with DW-1 fluid.

Sent from my D2306 using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He's right. Upon further checking it appears that they "don't got no" filter in them their automatic transmission thingy-mabobbers.

Next time don't settle for just one dealer. They are all different. That is why there is so many of them. Like anything else, some are good and some are bad. Had you got a good one you would have found out that your car doesn't have a filter.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
of course they have a filter its just internally mounted inside the transmission and are not serviceable unless you drop the tranny. but they do make after market inline filter kits that are servicable also cooler kits.

dancam

Registered VIP
of course they have a filter its just internally mounted inside the transmission and are not serviceable unless you drop the tranny. but they do make after market inline filter kits that are servicable also cooler kits.
According to people who have taken them apart there is no filter. Just a screen on the pickup tube. I have seen pictures and i dont see a filter. Have you taken one apart? Does the dealer sell a filter thats not an inline add on?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what do you think the screen is wild guess a filter yayy you guessed it gold star for you. nope they don't sell any kind of external filter only after market.

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
what do you think the screen is wild guess a filter yayy you guessed it gold star for you. nope they don't sell any kind of external filter only after market.
You would be misleading people to tell them there is a filter they can replace by removing the transmission and splitting it. What most people call a transmission filter is something replaceable that keeps the fluid clean. What your calling a filter is the pick up tube with a rock catcher permanently attached to it to keep big chunks from destroying the pump. 50 microns compared to 1300 microns. Filter yes. Misleading also yes. An open pickup tube is also a filter because it keeps out anything larger than one inch diameter but to call it that is misleading. She is asking for something she can replace.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i said it wasn't serviceable how is that misleading when it is technically a filter. that mesh filter is the reason the 01-03 civics had major transmission problems which they tried to correct in the 04-05 with a larger screen which was basically just a band-aid and not a fix. i believe i also mentioned after market filter kits and coolers ???

dancam

Registered VIP
That would indicate it was serviceable if you dropped the tranny...
Yes, the mesh was/is the main cause of the problems.
And yes, you did mention aftermarket filters were available in your second post.