Awooga, finally got my ek.

singlecamgoinham

It's been years since I've been in the Honda/ Acura scene.
I've been used to vw the past few years..
Used to have a da with a gsr swap but sold it.
I had always wanted an ek but never picked one up.
Fast forward 8 years later when I'm more financially stable
and can slowly mess with a project car and here we are.
It's a '96 coupe and the guy before me thought it only had
a swapped head (mini me). Low and behold it's got the full swap.
D16y8 motor and B0000 5spd tranny.
Vtec isn't wired up but I will read up on how to do that.
Valve cover was leaking so I ordered the gasket set
for that and I might pick up a few other gaskets just to
be safe and all that. Maintenance is paramount.
*will post pics later*

Looking forward to meeting new people and
learning more about these cars.

To do:
Replace door panels
Fix hood/ bumper alignment
Replace quick release hub
Replace head lights
Take tint off tails and/ or replace
Wire up vtec solenoid
Suspension
Replace weather stripping

*add more later

Here's my vw

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's wrong with the quick release hub?

singlecamgoinham

What's wrong with the quick release hub?
It's a really crappy one and the ring that has the release button wobbles a bit, which causes the wheel to wobble and it really bothers me. The gap that shows when I move the ring is so minimal I can't even place a thin sheet of metal to close the gap. To give you an idea, the gap is the size of a piece of torn paper folded up 3 times max. Ask me how I know hah.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice VW. Have a few floating around here.

singlecamgoinham

Just took some quick pictures of the civic.

Anyone done a stud conversion on their VC bolts for this gen? I saw one for the 7th gen. Reason I ask is because of this:

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like that bolt hole is on the cam bearing cap. If that's the case, you may as well change the timing belt, water pump, crank seal, and cam seal because you will need to take the belt off and disassemble the top of the head to get access. If you put it together as is and it's not leaking oil I wouldn't sweat it though.

singlecamgoinham

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like that bolt hole is on the cam bearing cap. If that's the case, you may as well change the timing belt, water pump, crank seal, and cam seal because you will need to take the belt off and disassemble the top of the head to get access. If you put it together as is and it's not leaking oil I wouldn't sweat it though.
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. If it helps, that bolt hole is where the VC bolt goes into. Before I took the VC off, I didn't notice oil on that section where the VC bolt was.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. If it helps, that bolt hole is where the VC bolt goes into. Before I took the VC off, I didn't notice oil on that section where the VC bolt was.
:thumbup:
You should invest in a Honda valve cover gasket and some hondabond, close it up, and carry on! Maybe come back to that little issue when you do the timing belt.

singlecamgoinham

[emoji106]
You should invest in a Honda valve cover gasket and some hondabond, close it up, and carry on! Maybe come back to that little issue when you do the timing belt.
Got the gasket and sealant sitting on my table actually! Ready to install, I just wanted to wait to see if I needed to worry about the cracked hole. If it's not raining later I'll be putting it all back together. While trying to research it yesterday and today I found some things saying it could be the rocker arm assembly. Think that's what it could be also?

singlecamgoinham

Fixed the VC bolt issue yesterday.

Up n running. Noticed a small oil leak on the right side of the headers by the timing belt side. Only barely seeping through one bolt. I hope it's just the exhaust gasket and not the head.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Oil wouldn't be leaking out of a stud or exhaust gasket.. It's probably seeping out from the valve cover.

singlecamgoinham

Oil wouldn't be leaking out of a stud or exhaust gasket.. It's probably seeping out from the valve cover.
I had literally just changed the VC/spark plug gaskets though. Fired up the car and after a few minutes of idling I could see a little bit coming out on the last nut.. Not bubbling or seeping out, just very subtle. No oil was coming out of the VC. I had cleaned that area prior to starting the car.