B16A Build!!!

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a very very good deal on a good B16A and i am going to build it first before i drop it in my car. i am going to do the Toda 1800cc Capacity up kit (pistons, crank, and rods) killer cams and gears, valve springs, pulleys, sport injection kit, oil pan and such, and just build a new engine. my questions is, if i upgrade all the internals, can i swap out the 1.6 vtec head to a 1.8 b18c5 vtec head, or is the 1.6 and 1.8 setup a little different? besides the tranny, what other upgrades can i do from the c5 to my b16a?
thanks guys

BMac00EX

5+ Year Member
B engines are interchangeable.... besides the B20a5 from the 3rd gen preludes... so yeah you could

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
personally i think the b16 head > b18 head. but you could swap out the cams for a mild upgrade. but if youre swapping cams you might as well get an upgrade, like a buddyclub stage III or skunk2 stage1 :what:

http://www.phearable.net/tech/cams.txt

Last edited:

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmm. ok, i heard the b18 head was better in many ways then the b16. not sure thats why i asked. but i am building the b16 from scratch pretty much, so i guess it doesnt matter. going all out with N/A

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
maybe im thinking the b16a is better than the gsr b18. either way im sure there's not a huge difference between b16a and b18c5 'cept for cams

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats what i thought. not really going to make a difference since im replacing all the crap anyways. now one other thing, i read somewhere that when i build the internals, my CC is going to change with the kit im doing from Toda. its going to go from 1595cc to 1800cc, will that effect how many liters im rolling with now? how can i change my liters from a 1.6 to a 1.8 or higher if thats possible? i was also going to bore it out, sleeve it, hone it milled and deck it.... is all this required and how much will it help over all? i want to build a new engine pretty much.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im not sure if your joking or not :what:

1000cc = 1 Liter

thus

1800cc = 1.8 Liter

the toda kit is basically a stroker kit that turns a b16 into a b18 by increasing the rod length (and replacing the crank to match). if youre going to bore it out it will be even larger than 1800cc.... a good example is the b20. it's basically a bored out b18 so it has the same stroke length but larger piston diameter giving it .2L more displacement

*EDIT*
and since you stated that youre going all-motor instead of boost you will want a high compression piston. if you run in the 13.0:1 range you can probably get 210-220whp pretty easily with a 1.8L motor

check some of these out to get an idea of what it takes to make substantial power with an N/A motor:
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=17

Last edited:

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey if your taking apart your b16 soon, let me know if theres brass washers or any kind of washers on the oil squirters!!! thanks. im sitting here putting mine together and I forgot. haa.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
YEP, thats what i meant. sorry. any tips on how to build this beast i have in mind? this will be the first internal build, so im trying to get a good idea on what and how to do things. theres a book that was mentioned on here that i can find at autozone about honda builds anyone know it?

i will also look for brass washers.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not sure what book youre looking for, but there are plenty out there. search H-T maybe

your plans didnt sound that bad. except there's no reason to start with a type R block if your going to replace all the internals anyways. i would get a b16a block with b16 tranny, get the b18c5 crank and have the it balanced and possibly knife-edged depending on how far you want to go. hone the cylinders for good break-in. forged rods to fit a b18, high comp N/A forged pistons, OEM rings and bearings, arp rod bolts and all other hardware, a good high comp headgasket, and an ecu to tune it all on. might need to up the injectors to 280cc or 300cc. then finish it all off with a good stainless 4-1 header and 2.5" exhaust. if you decide to bore out the block i wouldnt take it too far, 1.9L at most to keep strong walls, but then you need overbore pistons to match